Chapter 50: Draco

"The-wind-is-pushing-the-mainsailseastnajdiid..."

Theo's outburst startles the ugly creature curled up on Draco's chest, and makes it finally scurry off of him.

He looks up to the loft where some of Red's hair is hanging down the side. He can't see Theo from this angle so he must have stayed asleep.

Draco lets out an annoyed huff.

This whole situation was ridiculous.

Sleeping, all together, underneath the damn blanket mound again.

Like they were children.

He had no desire to spend his nights with anyone but the woman taking her 7th breath in 37 seconds next to him.

He would much prefer to have the freedom to do the things she would only allow him to do if they were alone.

But the excitement and smile on her face at Theo's suggestion that they all go camping again had made him sullenly go along with the two brunette's desires.

He and Red had stayed in the doorway, and watched the two smartest people they knew giggle like toddlers as they crawled through the heaps of fabric. Taking large pillows, mugs, and a pot of burnt chocolate in with them.

"They were being serious? They really want us to sleep... together?"

"Unfortunately." He responded as Granger pulled back the sheet to glare at him. Silently informing him that he was not meeting expectations at the moment.

"Draco, get in the tent."

"I would rather be getting in to you."

The redhead next to him snorted, and lifted her hand, folding her pinky finger down into her palm.

"Good one ferret, high four."

He grunted at her, but still raised his hand at the new gesture they all had started since the whole pinkytation. Theo found it hilarious. Draco found it vaguely disturbing.

Both of them had given in to the pair by the end. Sitting and telling stories, drinking two whole batches of burnt chocolate, and Draco teaching them all how to make the apparition of the night sky.

He can admit that it wasn't a horrible night. He had enjoyed watching his woman smile, and laugh, like she used to back in school. He didn't participate in the conversation and merriment much. Just enough to dissuade the questions and concerns he knew Granger would point his way if he didn't.

Draco turns his attention back to the beautiful brunette lying curled up into his side. It is early. Usually Theo was the first one up, but over the past couple of days, Draco found falling asleep becoming harder and harder.

Because he didn't want to miss a second.

Not one.

He gently moves a few strands of hair back behind her ear. She experienced a nightmare a couple of hours ago, and he hadn't been able to fall back asleep since. He chose to spend the time just being with her in the quiet. Enjoying the different form of intimacy; to be allowed the closeness, and opportunity to hold her, and watch her sleep.

112 nights of being with her through the night. 112 more than he ever thought he would be granted. 112 nights of counting the freckles on her face, noticing the new ones appearing from day to day with her health improving.

The freckles are almost a catalog of how far she has come. All the little moments, and small victories dotting themselves onto her skin. Evidence all over her that made him sure she would be able to continue to grow after all of this. There was a lot of blank skin left for more to appear. He wants them to have the time, and opportunity to take over that space. For her to have many days under the sun to be, and live, and age.