12. Blushing wolf

PAUL POV

I stood anxiously waiting for Lizzie and Leah to arrive. I don't exactly trust Leah. Though Lizzie says she was nice and I trust Liz. Although, I know Leah and if that is true, then it honestly freaks me out.

However, I am aware that since Leah has met Liz, her thought haven't contained as much 'Sam and Emily' shit as usual. For that, I am thankful for their new 'friendship'.

As I hear a car, Leah's car, pull up, I suddenly feel even more nervous. Yes, Leah informed me that she didn't seem scared in the slightest which confused me but the fact doesn't stop my mind from thinkings things like: she's scared of you Paul, your a danger to her, she's better off without you, your just going to hurt her, it's selfish of you to keep her close around you.

My thought were interrupted as I heard two car doors open and close. I saw her pass a container of cookies to Leah before making her way over to me wearing her usual innocent smile. Leah's careful, watching eyes, looking over me and her new friend, didn't go unnoticed by me though I can completely understand her thought process given my past record of angry outbursts. Though, even the thought of laying one harmful finger, or claw, on Lizzie, accidentally or not, sent shivers down my spine. I will never hurt my Liz. She sent me a warning look before going to place the tub on the food table and standing by her brother, Seth.

"Hi"- Lizzie

"Hey. So, you know"-Paul

I could see a smile form on her lips, obviously amused by my nerves, observing the way I rubbed my neck anxiously.

"Yup"-Lizzie

"That's not exactly how I wanted you to find out, you know, the Bella/Jacob thing. So what are you thinking? Are you scared of me?"- Paul

I hate this. I hate not knowing what is going on in her head, what she's thinking. I hate how nervous I feel. I hate the thought of her turning around and leaving. I hate that she might be scared of me. I hate not knowing what's gonna happen next.

"Honestly? No, I don't think I am. I probably should be. In fact, I should probably be running for my life right now but I'm not scared of you Paul."- Liz

I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding.
Does she have any idea how she affects me.
I couldn't help the smile tugging at my lips from creeping onto my face. A small smile, but a smile just the same.

"So what do or don't ya know?"- Paul

"I think Leah explained most of it. Except imprinting?"

As I explained the 'imprint' to Lizzie, I felt that nauseatingly nervous thing happening again. I didn't want her to feel she had to be with me and didn't have a choice but at the same time, as selfish as it sounds, I didn't want to let her go. I wanted to know how it would feel to hold her, kiss her, see her smile and hear her laugh everyday. To fall asleep and wake up next to her.

So I watched as I talked. Watching her facial expressions to see if I could find any clues as to what she was thinking or feeling. I looked into her eyes to see not fear, but interest and intrigue.

ELIZABETH POV

Once he had finished explaining about imprints, he said anything else would be explained by 'the elders' (the old, important looking men sat around the fire I assume). After a few seconds of silence as he wolfed down a cookie, pun unintended, I said with a grin:
"So I heard from a certain someone that Kim didn't invite me to the other bonfire." - Liz

I saw a light blush appear on his dark skin but he tried to hide it with an innocently guilty smirk, "oh? And who did you hear that from?"- Paul.

"A drunk Kim"- Liz

"Well, you know sometimes drunk people say the most weird things."- Paul.

"Oh really? Because I've always thought that drunk people are easier to get truthful answers out of."- Liz

"These cookies are great by the way," I knew he was skilfully trying to avoid the subject from the smirk on his face but it's true, I make the best cookies. I raised my eyebrows at him to continue. After a pause, Paul admitted, "okay so maybe Kim wasn't the one who officially came up with the idea to invite you but I know she definitely wanted you to come."

"Oh I see, so you invited me for Kim's sake only," I couldn't stop the grin that spread across my face.

"Of course, I'm just such a nice person"- Paul.

"Oh admit it Lahote, you like me,"- Lizzie.

PAUL POV

"Oh admit it Lahote, you like me,"- Lizzie.

With that, she walked away leaving me craving for more. I couldn't tell whether it was the wolf in me of just me but I found myself feeling rather incomplete without her small, grinning and teasing figure by my side.

As I jogged over to her standing by the food table, where she picked up one of Emily's home-baked muffins and turned as I called out her nickname," Liz."

"Oh hey Paul," the 'innocent' smile on her face was contagious as I felt my own face mirror hers.

"Okay so maybe, if you wanted to, we could possibly go out sometime. Soon?" Oh come on Lahote, is that seriously the best you can do?

"Are you asking me out?"- Lizzie

"Trying to." I rubbed my neck again anxiously, feeling a red mark starting to form under my fingertips.

Oh my god. I must be a ducking blushing mess right now. AN: It autocorrected to 'ducking' and it made me laugh so I'm keeping it :)

"Wow, well this is just so unexpected, I'll have to check my calendar, I'm quite busy this week," Lizzie joked.

After a few seconds of silence, I couldn't take it anymore. I let out a heavy sigh, "oh come on Lizzie you're killing me here."

She laughed. There it was again. That musical laugh that made me feel all weird and fuzzy. It only lasted a few moments until she spoke but it was the most heartwarming, contagious sound I'd ever heard. She put me out of my misery, "I'd love to go out, just text me a time and a place."

"Ok, will do. Do you want a drink?"- Paul.

"Just a water, thanks."- Lizzie.

I looked at her with a confused expression as it came to my attention I have never once seen her drink and whilst yes, she could just not want to but I could see it in her eyes. There was a reason. But I decided to ask her another time.

I came back to find Leah talking to Lizzie. She seems to bring the best out of everyone, even Leah. We all went to sit down around the fire and, out of my inner-wolf instincts, I grabbed her hand leading her over to a bench. I was internally screaming at myself until she cut straight through every thought in my head as she squeezed my hand slightly.

She cannot possibly know the huge affect she has on me, she really is like no other girl I've ever met. This imprint thing is either going to kill me or save me, I swear.

ELIZABETH POV

Leah left my side to go take a seat around the fire (looking at Sam and Emily every now and then) by her brother, Seth, who was staring admirably at Jacob, who was staring at Bella, who was most definitely not interested in the way Jacob wanted as he hasn't imprinted on her and she's in love with a vampire anyway. It was a never ending cycle. A complicated, unusual cycle of life I guess.

Leading me over to the fire, Paul took hold of my hand. I'm sure if he didn't have tanned skin, he would've looked the colour of a tomato.

My blushing wolf.

AN: 1,300+ words😏 yh I'm proud.