6. Progress

PAUL POV

It was a typically Tuesday at school though I now found myself looking forward to my art lessons like they were the very air I breathe. They were the one lessons I got to sit next to her alone. No Jared to nudge me and mock me, no Kim grinning carelessly, just me and her.

I felt my breathing hitch as she stepped into the room. She always walked with her eyes to the ground, keeping to herself.

ELIZABETH POV

As I took my seat, retreating my things from my bag (including my drawing from the previous night at the beach), I could feel Paul's gaze on me. From what I had heard around school, Paul was an easily aggravated, hothead but whilst he looked at me, his gaze seemed soft and gentle. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard his voice.

"La Push beach?" I looked up at him with a slightly confused expression until he pointed at the picture on my desk. "It's good."

"Thanks," I could feel myself blushing slightly. I never blush. Ever. But Paul Lahote complimented me and I couldn't stop the slightest colour paint my cheeks. "Yeah, I found a nice spot yesterday."

"Bench in front of the forest, right?" Taking in my surprised expression, be continued, "I recognise the spot, I live near the beach, I go down a lot."

"Oh yeah, I'm not gonna have to fight for the spot am I," we both grinned as he replied,
"Hmm, I think we'll be able to share."

The conversation quietened down for a moment as the teacher took the register but once we started drawing, he spoke again.

"So, why'd you move, if you don't mind me asking," he said it with a cautious tone as if he were worried he would upset me. Little did he know, I've gotten quite good at hiding my emotions.

I smiled, "I moved in with my aunt and uncle whilst my parents are travelling." Yup. That's my cover story. It's kinda what I tell people when either 1. I don't trust them with the truth or (in this case) 2. I don't want to kill the mood with my tragically depressing life.

PAUL POV

She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes like it had when I complimented her art, which really was incredible. I won't lie, she's good at hiding her emotions, the average person would've believed her without question but, being my imprint, the 'wolf side' of me takes in every detail about her. From the way she looks to the ground avoiding eye contact when walking, to how she plays with the bobble on her wrist when she talks to people, and when her smile is real and genuine or whether it's fake and just easier to smile than tell the truth. I decided it wasn't the right place or time to push her on the subject so I figured I'd catch her at the beach after school sometime. Maybe tonight?

"Are you heading to the beach today?"

"No, I got homework to catch up on and besides, I think it's gonna rain pretty heavy later."

ELIZABETH POV

I'd been home for about 2 hours, I had finished typing up a history essay about 20 minutes ago. I was now sat on the porch, covered from the rain, wearing black leggings and an oversized grey hoodie when I heard a familiar voice nearby. I looked up from the book I was reading to see Paul and a couple of other guys, one I could recognise as Jared (though he didn't notice me) though the other I don't think I've seen before. He did look older than Paul and Jared. They were all shirtless, despite the rain that had been chucking it down for at least an hour, they must have been freezing. Paul offered me his signature grin whilst I returned the favour with a small smile. I saw them head up the street towards a cafe, Paul and Jared playfully shoving each other as the older one just grinned.