Too Complicated

I scribbled on my math homework. My brain was fried from the day. I slumped down into my chair, and thought about other things. Mindy. Mom. School. Lucas- my thoughts were interrupted by a ding from my phone. I quickly grabbed it. I opened the Home Screen, and saw a text. From Lucas. I felt an urge to get up and dance. I didn't. It read:
'Hey hru?'
I typed back, quickly.
'Good hbu?'
I pressed send. In less than two seconds another test came in.
'Alr. Im tryna figure out my math hmrk'
Immediately, I texted back,
'Same!'
Right away, I wished I hadn't of sent the exclamation point.
'Of course you are. We are so similar. Hey can I ask u a question?'
I felt my stomach drop. I typed back carefully.
'Sure'
You know that feeling when you're texting someone and then the dots come up? Well, that's what happened. I was waiting forever! Of course, all those self criticism thoughts came into my head. What if he doesn't like me? What if he's texting with another girl which is why he isn't replying? Why's it taking so long? What if- his text appeared on my screen.
'Why are you friends with Mindy? I mean, she's not bad, but you could do a lot better. I don't mean to trash you like that, but I think she likes you.'
There was so much to take in. But what did he mean that she likes me?
'Well she is my friend. Wouldn't that mean that she likes me?
I waited for his answer.
'Wait, do you not know?'
Did I not know what?
'What?'
I replied. What was he talking about?
'Mindy's lesbian.'
I stared at the screen. What? How had I not known? I mean, it wasn't a big deal, but did she actually like me? Like, as her girlfriend?
'Oh, ok. I didn't know that. It's not a big deal, though. How do you know she likes me?'
I was in shock. It would've never occurred to me. I would've never thought that Mindy liked me.
'It was so obvious that she was flirting with you at lunch today.'
I was so confused. She'd been flirting with Lucas, not me.
'No, she was flirting with you at lunch.'
I hit send. His text appeared.
'Is that what you thought? No, she was clearly flirting with you. She was batting her eyes and everything.'
Had she been batting her eyes at me? Had she been smiling at me? Had she been jealous that Lucas and I were talking because she liked me?! It was too much to take in. I turned off my phone. I put it on my desk. I had to find out the truth. But, I couldn't just walk up to Mindy and ask her. I had to find a way to get it out of her. To see if she really did like me. And I was going to do the same to Lucas.