Just Friends

I slammed my locker shut. I picked up my backpack, hauling it out the door. I arrived outside the front of school. I unzipped my front pocket, retrieving my phone. The first thing I saw on the home screen was a text. Not from Lucas, just from my mom. I wished it was from Lucas-nope. I wasn't going to let myself think that way. I glanced at the text my mom had sent me.
'I'm at the back xx.'
I walked towards the back of the school, spotting my moms car. I waited for my mom to unlock the door. I climbed in, after I heard the clicking sound. Mom was chewing a piece of a starburst, strawberry gum. She held it out to me. I shook my head.
"How was school?" She said, munching on her gum.
"Good. I made some friends." I replied. She almost dropped the gum out of her mouth.
"Really?!" She exclaimed, "I thought you were just saying that you were going to try and make some to get me out of your hair!" She said. I laughed.
"Nope. I made some friends. I think." I said.
She looked delighted.
"I also, um, saw Lucas today." I said, quietly. Mom looked surprised.
"Really? Wow, you haven't seen him in ages. We were just talking about him the other day! How is he?" She asked.
"He's good. He um..he told me that he was going to text me tonight." I said, trying to act cool.
"Oh yes, honey! Maybe you two can-" I immediately interrupted her.
"No, mom! We're just friends. Like we've always been. Don't go getting any ideas." I said. She laughed, but nodded.
"Of course, honey. You two are just friends. Whatever you want. I just wanted to let you know that I'd be fine either way." She smirked. I rolled my eyes. But, the words rang in my head. "Just friends." The truth was, I didn't want to be just friends. I wanted to be more than that.