Ch 5 - Dutton Spoils

stellarosedutton co - author

Kayce's POV 
"Can I open my eyes now Kayce?" She giggles as I make her keep her eyes closed coming back from the store earlier. Today is Christmas Eve so I can't think of another better chance to spoil her. Sitting a box in her lap she squints her eyes open slowly opening the box pulling out a onesie. The first one reading "It's not easy being the cutest cowboy around" for a boy. "Daddy's Little Cowgirl" for a girl written on a pink onesie. "Kayce, I thought I said not to buy anything until we got closer to knowing the gender." She groans a smile on her face nonetheless. Plopping down on the living room couch beside her I drape my arm over the back, my hat sitting on my lap. 

Resting a hand to her cheek I try to control myself from blushing at her looking more beautiful in the glow of the burning fire in the fireplace. My dad already went to bed so we are the only ones up late tonight. "All I have is love to give you Y/n." She lightly blushes but it's hard to catch when she raises a brow at what I said. "Love to give me?" I feel my cheeks turn a light red hearing her say it, noticing our noses are almost brushing. I messed up. Suddenly I tilt my head away from hers, clearing my head. I stutter out rubbing the back of my neck still blushing. "I uh - I meant for this child…" 

"Kayce I- I gotta puke…" Y/n started to reply until sickness took over. She stumbles to her feet rushing to the bathroom downstairs puking in the toilet. Right on her tail I bend down on my knees holding her hair away from her face finally feeling my blush disappearing. We'd scheduled a doctor's appointment in two months to find the baby's gender seeing her belly growing bigger. I wish my mom was here to make her famous biscuits to ease her pain. Those biscuits always made us better no matter what pain we were facing. "I'm glad you're here. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't here…" She breathed out, wiping her mouth burying her face in the crook of my neck, my arms gently wrapped around her as we sat quietly on the bathroom floor. My love goes to you too Y/n. 

Y/n's POV
I was laying in bed, morning sickness took a lot out of me since i got further along in the pregnancy but Kayce was there every step of the way and helping me through everything including the doctor’s appointments, since we were one step closer to finding out the baby’s gender but I had gotten a text earlier that said Walker was out of prison and looking for me as i called Kayce’s phone. “Hey Kayce, think you can come to the house. I need to show you something, and I don't know what to do because apparently, my ex is coming to this ranch and working. Rip is bringing him back right now. I am nervous, what if he is angry with me and tries to hurt me” I say, speaking into the phone as I heard a truck pull up outside the main house.  

Kayce's POV
Slamming my truck driver's side door I bolt into the house in panic searching for her in the house only to end up finding her sitting on the couch. Hugging her legs to her chest, slightly shaking fear present in her eyes. "Walker's coming here Kayce!" She sniffs in tears as I toss my hat across the room with my tan jacket bending down to pick up her phone reading the text. My father had sent Rip to go pick him up wanting some more cowboys in the Bunkhouse. But I don't trust Walker, he's been in prison. How can someone like that be a good father to a baby "Kayce...what if he hurts me for keeping the baby?" She whispered low where I almost didn't hear her. Dropping her phone on the couch I pull her into my chest burying my head into her neck and clearly she needs it when her arms wrapped around my neck. "I won't let that happen. If he lays a hand on you at all or hurts you, he'll go to the train station." 

Comment and vote :)