Ch 1 - Loss on the Ranch

stellarosedutton co-author on this book

Kayce's POV

Life on a ranch is fun especially when you're young. Along with having your best friend at your side. "Boo, found ya Kayce." Y/n cheers finding me hidden in one of the barn stalls. She'd decided we would play hide and seek before my sister Beth and I went on a horse ride with our mother later today. Getting to my feet I hear my mother call out from the porch about food. "Kayce, Y/n. Biscuits!" Looking down at my friend she smiles big, grabbing my ball cap and covering my eyes. "Race you." She cheered running for the porch. Fixing my hat I chased after her complaining. "No fair you cheated!" She knows how much I love those biscuits. 

Hours later I climbed on my horse as Y/n brushed my horses main. "Can we play again when you get back?" I nod my head smiling down at her. She's two years younger than I am. Lee is the oldest and off somewhere with my father. My sister Beth climbed on her horse as my mother came over on her own. "Y/n I'm starting to think you live on this ranch by how much you're here." She chuckled, causing my friend to smile. "No I don't Mrs. Dutton. Just here to keep an eye on this one." I rolled my eyes before the three of us rode off to the fields. 

Our family ride went fine until my sister's horse ran through the gate after throwing her off backwards. My mother's horse gets spooked and throws her off but falls over onto her legs. She released an ear shattering cry in pain. I get off my horse worried as Beth panics to our mother. "Mom, I'm sorry." Mom tells her to go find our father. "Go, run and find help." She's started to run looking at me. "Kayce come on." But I bend on my knees wanting to stay with mom, no one should be in pain alone. 

The next time I see anyone is when night has arrived. Wolves howling in the distance. Flashlights searched around until I heard a wolf growl in my face making me scream. "Kayce!. Get out of here. Go on!" My father's voice shouted out, bending down on his knees. The next time I see my mother's face she isn't breathing anymore. My father mumbled in tears removing his tan cowboy hat crying. "She's gone, son."

Y/N’s POV

I was sitting on the porch, seeing my best friend walk up with his head hung low as I stood up and looked at him “wanna play hide and seek Kayce?” I asked, not knowing what happened as i waited for him to answer my question as I stayed put as i watched the once cheery boy who was my best friend basically shut down and become quieter than most would but i was worried about him “Kayce, i said can we play hide and seek like you promised we would when you got back from your ride” I say, crossing my arms over my chest as I stood there without saying anything else as I continued to wait for him to answer me or acknowledge my presence at the very least as I took my black cowboy hat off and held it in front of me as I let my brown hair fall down behind me as I was standing on the porch. 

I looked at Y/N, my eyes full of tears “I don’t wanna play that stupid childish game. It’s time to grow up Y/N, forget it” I say, my head was still reeling over the fact that my mother was gone and not coming back as I realized what I said to Y/N as I pulled her close and hugged her, basically clinging to her as i sobbed and broke down into tears. 

Evelyn Dutton is dead

Comment and vote :)