Bone Diggers - Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

Andreah smirked. There had likely been a comeback, but it was lost when she dumped the packages contents into her hand. "The world's tiniest gas can?" Not including packaging, it was a little bigger than a quarter, complete with a black cap. The label read Fuel Charger.

"You said your phone kept dying, so this can hang out on your keys until you need it," Owen said.

"This is the cutest, and tiniest, thing anyone has ever gotten me." Andreah pulled on the collar of his pea coat, pulling his face a bit closer. "Thank you."

He nodded, eyes locked on her until he leaned the rest of the way and kissed her. She moved her hands off his collar to rest around his neck, while his hands slid around her waist.

"Nu-uh," Frank scolded, sweeping into the room like an on-the-ball teacher's aide. "Take that somewhere else. There are going to be children here soon. And they can't see...that."

Andreah pulled away first, mostly because she hadn't expected anyone besides Michael, who was still by the food like the smell alone was a siren.

Owen pushed himself off the desk and tapped Andreah on the behind to get her moving. "Come on, we can hang out in the break room until you have to get back to work."

She shot him a look that said that's not what he meant, but followed without comment. The room was small, with a microwave that was overused and a coffee pot that was virtually ignored. The table would have been big enough for four if one of the sides wasn't pressed to the wall. In the back, there were shelves with old editions of various newspapers. "You know this is my last delivery again today."

"Saved the best for last?" Owen asked. "People in this building need to use your fine services more often."

"Really though, I could come make out with you mid-day more often."

"I'm liking this plan more and more."

Andreah glanced back towards the other rooms. The small window in the door showed her only a square of the empty hallway. "You know, your boss is super cool."

"Yeah." He leaned over as if he could see the others. "Makes up for how little he pays me."

"You goof," Andreah said, ready to swat him on the arm again. "You shouldn't have bought me something if you're tight on money."

"Don't worry about it. I just got paid on Friday." What Owen left out was Frank wasn't paying him until the end of the month. He had gotten his payday from a bone digger gig. A woman had wanted to know if her husband was visiting the brothels. He was. Kind of boring, actually, but the gigs involving sex, or some other illicit betrayal, always paid the best.

"I could make it up to you," she said. Owen raised an eyebrow, but the expression was washed away as Andreah stepped up, and kissed him roughly. She kissed him until he felt dizzy, then moved on to his neck.

His eyes fluttered, catching the yellow of her work vest. The first time he met her, it had been hidden under her sweater, but now it just was a neon reminder of work. "Andreah," he breathed, ignoring what was taboo or not for a few seconds longer. "You should stop, or take off that god awful vest."

"Huh?" Andreah glanced down at herself and chuckled. "Oh."

Owen smiled before movement behind her caught his eye. "Or maybe just the first thing," he grumbled. Andreah looked over her shoulder as Michael walked in.

"Hey, guys," he said, mostly to Owen. "So, this is the girlfriend?" Only then did he turn to look at Andreah. A small nod in greeting looked like he was sizing a prize he wanted at a carnival.

"My name is Andreah. It's nice to meet you...?"

"You mean good ol' Owen hasn't mentioned me? It's Michael. To be fair, he didn't really bring you up either." He smacked Owen's shoulder, who uncomfortably jerked an inch forward. "Maybe it's because I wouldn't have believed that he could snag such a babe."

Owen looked like his eyes might fatally roll of out of his head. "What do you want?"

"Boss said he needs you so I can man the camera for the event."

"Thanks for the message. Could you give us a minute?" Andreah said, suddenly cheerful. Owen crossed his arms over his chest.

Michael glanced from her to his co-worker like he knew what was going to happen when he left, despite Owen's discomfort apparent to anyone with a hint of sense. "Alright."

Andreah waited silently until he closed the door. Her demure swapped back with the shake of her head. "I've known that dude for like two seconds, and I hate him already."

"God! I know, right?" Owen looked brightly at her, like he wanted to gush about how much he liked her from that statement alone. "I've been here for like a year and a half, and I want to tape his mouth shut every time he opens it."

"Maybe next time I should deliver you some duct tape." She paused as if imagining how that would play out for a second. "Anyways, I could stop by your place at like eight if you wanted."

"Sounds good. I'll miss you until then."

Her face scrunched up. "Don't get all sappy on me," she said, but it was hard to take her too seriously. "I'm going to let you get back to work."

"Don't let the pre-teens get any cooties on you on your way out." Andreah stuck her tongue out, which only played into his point.