Chapter 37

Caroline anxiously waited outside the infirmary. She paced left and right while she waited for the warlocks to come out and tell her what happened to Magnus. Her crying didn't stop and she was too overwhelmed to comprehend that Faith was now with Lilith, probably ending the world as Lilith wanted too.

"Did you hear anything from them?" Alec suddenly asked. Caroline looked up at him as she shook her head. "Nothing." She said in a whisper. Her eyes were swollen and she felt empty. She didn't know if they would get Faith back and at the same time, everyone was clueless about what would happen to Magnus.

"It will be okay..." He tried comforting her. He felt guilty, horrible, terrified and at the same time he was angry. He wasn't angry at his daughter but at Lilith. She used her weakness against her and made her break. After seeing Faith like that, he wasn't even sure if they could get her back. She was powerful and wasn't ready to listen either.

"I think this will be even harder than when they got you back Mr. Lightwood." Caroline said truthfully. Alec nodded. "I know."

The door opened and both Alec and Caroline looked up. "We have good and bad news." He said. Caroline made her hand into a fist, ready to take both of it. She already knew deep in her heart that whatever Faith did was bad and dangerous.

"The magic that was casted out on him was powerful and dark. He is in a coma but alive. The longer he is asleep, the more his heart freezes. He has three days before he-" "Don't you have anything else to help him with?" Caroline interrupted him.

There was no good news. Everything he had told her and Alec was just bad news. News she didn't wanted to hear. She was losing hope every single second he stood in front of her.

He sighed out. "I am giving him a herbal medicine on his chest to slow down the freezing of his heart but that will spare him another day or two. The way the magic is spreading, I can't predict how long he has left with my help." He said unsure. Caroline shook her head and looked down while she cried softly.

She didn't wanted to hear more. "Can this be reversed?" Alec asked with hesitation. He shrugged his shoulders. "I haven't... seen any kind of magic like this. This is ancient and understanding it requires education which I nor any of these warlocks have. This goes beyond our time." He replied with.

"I can do... research and contact with our eldest warlock to see as well as talk to the silent brothers but I can't promise anything." He said softly. Caroline pushed through, rushing towards Magnus. If he wasn't going to make it, she wanted to by his side while he took his last breathe.

She slowed down her steps as she looked at the pale complexion of the man she loved so dearly. He always made jokes about how immortal he was but now... he wasn't so immortal anymore. He was dying...

There was some sort of comfort for Caroline, knowing that Magnus couldn't get hurt easily. Every mission they went on together, she was never too worried about him. She knew he would be okay and the most danger would be upon her and not him. That was her comfort, knowing that the man she loved would always be safe.

Magnus was the other person that Faith was close too. The power she held in was pure resentment. The curse or spell she used on him was killing. The only one Caroline now feared was her own best friend...

"M-Magnus..."  Caroline stuttered as she sat on the side of his bed. She held his hand that was partially grey. His veins popped out and were black. The only bit that had a bit of colour was his face.

Caroline cried loudly as she laid her head down on his chest and held him tightly. "Please hang on... I promise I will save you." She sobbed loudly. "Even if it costs me my life, I will do it..."