Chapter Thirty Seven: "Let's go for a walk..." The Story of Pheobe

======================================

Chapter Thirty Seven

“Where are you taking me?”

We had met outside TGI’s but Kristin just walked past the entrance and hailed a cab. She seized my hand pulling me in.

“You’ll see, you’ve just turned twenty and all you could think about is looking for someone who doesn’t want to be found.”

“Please don’t start…”

“I’m not I’m just saying.”

I looked out of the cab window staring at the full moon in the somewhat cloudy sky. Two minutes later we had stopped, outside a lovely looking pub with lots of music playing loudly. “What have you planned?” I turned slowly to Kristin with a huge smile on her face paying the driver. I wasn’t in the mood for lots of people and crowds.

“Something so good, I think I may run for president of the United freaking States or something like that anyway. I don’t know, come on grumpy birthday girl, we’ve got some dancing to do.”

Whining to my best friend who I was starting to think didn’t really know me at all. “But I don’t feel like dancing.”

It wasn’t until I heard the familiar voice that I disregarded that very thought. “How did you know?”

“They’re playing a set for some radio station for competition winners but I managed to get some tickets. Tanner or Tad or whatever his name is and I have kept in touch through Facebook.” Kristin grinned. “It was only natural for me to take you here than to help you drown your lost sorrows in TGI’s expensive cocktails. Maybe Grey could even help you on your little failing mission.”

Kristin walked off to the bar to get drinks while I perched myself near the front up against a pillar.

Grey picked up his guitar and with the rest of the band taking a step back, the spotlight quickly rested on him.

Closing his eyes and gently strumming, he started to sing.

I forgot how much I had missed his voice, how much I actually liked his voice and how much I hadn’t listened to music in a long time.

This song was powerful, sad but moving and relatable. I closed my eyes relaxed. Kristin was beside me sighing at the sound of Grey’s voice.

The song came to a close and I opened my eyes gazing back at the singer with the light blue eyes, bed head hair feeling like 18 year old once again.

He nodded in appreciation for the crowd cheering loudly, the other band members taking a step forward to start another song. Kristin wolf whistled loudly making the both of us laugh but we didn’t think Grey would hear through the shouts of the crowd. Quickly, Grey scanned the crowd and within two seconds we had caught eyes.

He gave me a small nod and I replied with a small smile.

He didn’t look at me for the rest of the night.

Kristin stumbled off to get yet another two glasses of red wine. It was our fifth. The Biblical boys had just finished their set and people were either at the bar or looking to leave. I saw an empty table near Kristin tottering over glad to be off my four inch multi-coloured strap heels at last.

“They look high.” I heard a voice in front while I wriggled my feet about in my heels. I sarcastically laughed at the voice.

Looking up expecting to see a pervy looking guy with a shoe fetish I saw Grey. 

“Can I sit?” He asked politely looking at my handbag that was on the empty seat for Kristin. Grabbing the handbag it fell out of my reach as I tumbled off balance on my stool, knocking the bag out of my grasp and onto Greys foot, along with Bindi’s small plain black notebook.