04 ━ night lights

━

CHAPTER FOUR
Night Lights

          HARLEY HID BEHIND the building as she peeked around the corner at the police cars parked by the public pool. Apparently his beta, Vernon Boyd and Derek's long lost sister, Cora Hale were on a blood frenzy and Lydia had found a body of a life guard by the public pool. Derek wanted to make sure it wasn't his sister or his beta.

His other beta, on the other hand, wouldn't be a problem. Erica Reyes was dead. Harley tried not to think about it. It made her feel sick.

She spotted her father looking tired and worried as he spoke to a security guard. Harley suddenly felt guilty. She did promise him she'd be careful when it came to talking to unknown ghosts after that incident when she was twelve, but she also needed the hundred bucks.

"Sorry, Dad." She mumbled.

She silently pulled the rusted metal door open and slipped inside the back of the building. She walked down a few hallways with her flashlight, her shadow dancing along in the white walls. When she was finally at the locker rooms, she peered inside each. There was not one ghost to be seen.

She picked nervously at the cuticle of her thumb. She didn't like the dark. In fact, she hated it and though her flashlight helped, it didn't stop the fear coursing her. Her heart rate elevated and every step she took felt like she was walking into danger. It felt like the dark was going to swallow her whole.

She heard the distant sound of footsteps echoing in the hallway and clamped her hand over her mouth to stop herself from screaming. She turned around and ran back the way she came in and turned the corner. And there the ghost stood with his back towards her, gliding away.

"Hey! Wait!"

The boy stopped abruptly as he turned around. He was still shirtless with dried blood covering the front his body and he was wearing red swim shorts. Harley's eyes travelled down to the purity ring band he wore, it's bright silver marked with dark red blood. His eyebrows furrowed. "You can see me?"

"Yeah." Harley said. "I'm kind of partial to the sixth sense. I'm sorry to ask you this– really unbelievably sorry. But do you... do you know who did this to you?"

"No." The boy admitted shakily. "I don't. I felt fear– a lot of it and then... I only saw an eye and then darkness. And I woke up by the pool... and saw my body."

"I'm sorry this happened to you." Harley whispered sympathetically.

"I'm dead, right?" The boy asked nervously, almost as if he was afraid to hear the answer. "I'm some kind of ghost."

Harley gulped. "Yeah."

The boy almost laughed. "I never used to believe in ghosts. I always thought they were a stupid conspiracy theory and now... I am one."