03 ━ risk and reward

━

CHAPTER THREE
Risk and Reward

          THE NEXT DAY Harley pulled into the school parking lot when she spotted Derek looking like he was waiting for someone. The girl rolled her eyes as he spotted her and she got out of her car.

"Oh my God. What now?" Harley groaned in annoyance.

"There's a girl." Derek deadpanned, not giving any more context after that.

Harley looked at him in confusion before she pointed to the side. "...And there's grass?"

Derek raised his eyebrows. "What?"

"I don't know. You started it."

"Look, Isaac found where they're hiding. But his memories were taken. But a girl saved him." Derek explained. "She showed up at the school yesterday looking for Scott."

Harley tilted her head. "Why?"

"I don't know."

Harley squinted her eyes. "So... why are you telling me? Do I look like Scott to you?"

Derek folded his arms. "Because Scott wasn't the only person she mentioned. Something about a death keeper."

"There's no such thing. And that wouldn't even be me. She's looking for her."

"She said human death keeper."

Harley licked her lips as she tried to contain her worry. "Derek, what would anyone want with me?"

"Do I really have to remind you what you are? I'm here to warn you, Harley. Your approach to staying out of the supernatural is going to get you killed if you don't have anyone in your corner, which you don't or if you haven't honed in all your abilities, which you haven't." Derek pointed out harshly.

"Well, what do you suggest I do?" Harley wondered.

"Trust someone."

"Trust someon– coming from you?"

Derek scowled. "Talk to Scott."

He walked away before Harley could say anything, leaving her standing on her own. The truth is, in the past, she had considered talking to Scott and even Stiles. But she held back. It was easier that no one knew about it or at least she thought it was.

"Harls, why the hell were you talking to Derek Hale?" Her cousin asked weakly as he stood next to her. "Wasn't he suspected of murder a while ago?"

"Don't worry about it, Mikey." Harley brushed off as she watched Derek get in his car and drive out of the school parking lot. She swung an arm over Michael's shoulders. "Let's go. How's high school been for you so far?"