[𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨]

Chapter 32: you can't save him

'We want the ascendant!'

'Stay out of our way!!'

'Everyone please remain calm! The royal family will deal with this matter!'

Mark rose up from the ground, his head spinning, his vision cloudy, and his body hurting, and puzzled what had happened. When his eyesight returned to normal, he saw the people of Helianthus rebelling against the royal guards; some were forcibly pushed back because of their determination to find the ascendant, while others were threatened with swords held in front of their chests.

Mark focused his gaze on Sunghoon, who was having the worst time of his life in terms of managing disasters; he carefully stood up and felt his waist ache; he groaned and placed his palm on the sore spot. He then began dragging his feet towards the direction of the general.

"Sunghoon...what's- where...uh fuck, where's Donghyuck?" Mark asked, furrowing his eyebrows due to the pain he's dealing with.

"You are finally awake, your husband needs you, he ran straight to the party, may as well hurry since I noticed Madam Koeun following him from behind," Sunghoon said, offering Mark his horse, "here, it'll get you faster."

Just by hearing all the things the general said, Mark nodded and jumped on the horse, groaning once more when the pain got worse, he then clicked his tongue as the horse galloped.

On his way to the palace, he saw a path of thorns blocking his path, he wondered how Donghyuck managed to run from all this.

Once he had found a way to get in the ballroom easily, he jumped off the horse and ran his way through. There, he saw the looks on everyone's faces, each held a different kind of fear. They must know now that their future king is an ascendant.

"Jaehyun!" Mark shouted, pushing the guests that were blocking his way, he saw the said boy on his knees while checking on a woman.

It was Donghyuck's mother.

His eyes widened seeing the queen dead, he looked at Jaehyun in confusion as the male only gave him a sad look.

"M-mark..." His mom walked to him and embraced him tightly, "i- donghyuck, he's in trouble...Koeun is looking for him, you have to protect him"

His father then held him by the shoulders, "son, you are our only hope on saving Donghyuck, get him here in one piece, this is my last task to you before I give you the throne" he said, only for Mark to nod.

"Cousin," Sicheng panted, sprinting back to the palace with Yuta following after; they had just returned from instructing the guards of both Helianthus and Leones to secure the palace; "I'm not sure where he went, but I spotted Koeun heading north," he muttered.

"W-where's Sunoo?" Mark asked, he hoped that he wasn't with Donghyuck because if he was then it would trigger him into the conclusion he does not want to happen.

Niki appeared, "Donghyuck took him, they both disappeared into thin air" he answered.

Mark's heart started to beat loudly, "no" he muttered only for the people in front of him to be confused.

"I-i have to go, Sunoo can never be with-"

"WATCH OUT!" Yuta said, summoning his sword, which materialized in his hand and sliced the flying creature about to attack Mark.