Twenty-Six

*excuse any errors*

Zola 'Slim' Monroe || December 1998

We were now three weeks into December, and it's like time just continued to skate by a lot quicker than I was used to. The semester had officially come to an end, and I was beyond excited to finally catch a break in one area of life and finally put my focus on the others.

Thanks to Silas, I'd finally put the time aside to take the necessary steps to getting my license.

Okay, I didn't really put the time aside. Here's what really happened:

It was probably the 1st or 2nd day of December, and we had spent our entire morning on the phone together, really talking about nothing in particular. I had mentioned that I needed to stop playing and actually go get my license and he saw to that happening that very day.

"You been studyin' for ya' test and shit?" He questioned and I nodded as if he could see me while I took a sip of the tea that I'd just made.

"Yup. I just need to take the time and actually go do it. I'll get to it eventually," I shrugged and that's when I heard him smack his lips and groan, "Yo, you been sayin' that since we first met,"

I couldn't help to laugh loudly at his statement because he was completely right. I'd been putting it off for at least a month now.

"You need to stop procrastinatin' and get that shit done, babe. Shit, It's time for you to start comin' to pick me up," I laughed at the emphasis he put on his last statement and nodded, "Alright, alright. You're right. I promise, Ima do it soon,"

"When?" He pressed and I laughed, "Soon!"

"Yeah, whatever," I could hear him chuckle through his statement before he continued, "I wanna see you, though."

Those words caused me to beam harder than I already was. I was always eager to see him, and due to us both having a crazy workload from school and hectic work schedules, I hadn't seen him in almost two weeks, so I was more than open to doing so.

"Welp, let me go ahead and start getting dressed,"

"Yeah, you do that cause you know how you do."

I smacked my lips as I stood up from the couch with my mug in hand, making my way towards my bedroom.

"Uh-uhn, don't do me,"

He chuckled, "I'm fuckin' wit'chu, Zo. I'll see you in about an hour, though. I love you,"

Every time he allowed those words to roll off of his tongue, he brought the child out of me. I smiled bashfully as the butterflies he caused made their grand entrance and I began to blush like crazy.

"Love you," I cooed in a melodic tune and that's when he smacked his lips,

"Who love me?" He inquired.

"I love you, Silas Perkins." I spoke meekly with a smile.

"That's what I thought. I'll see you later, boo."

With a final goodbye, the call ended and I proceeded to get ready for my outing with my man.

He kept his word and was there within an hour. Once he scooped me up, I was under the assumption we would be going to get food and follow up with something eventful.

It was eventful, alright...

He took me to a local diner in Brooklyn for brunch and afterwards, surprised me with a trip to the DMV.