Eighteen

Sincere 'Sin' Jones || Saturday Night

"So, what's taking you so long to make Zola your girlfriend?" My mom asked over the phone and I chuckled as I sprayed on my cologne prior to sliding my Michael Kors watch onto my arm.

I really took pride in this damn watch. Not only was it fly as hell, but it was from my baby and that made it even more special.

"Well, truth be told, we dated but shit— stuff kinda went left," I explained, hoping she wouldn't pry too deep into the situation, but knowin' Gloria, she definitely would and I would shut her down like I always do.

I loved my mama, but sometimes she was too damn nosy for her own good. It was obvious she liked Zo because she seemed to be the main topic of conversation since she met her a few days ago. I was grateful for that, though. While my Mother did like everybody, she was very particular about the women I seemed to bring around.

When I brought Karmen home, she let it be known at that very moment that Karmen wasn't her cup of tea and that she wasn't right for me. I, of course, didn't listen because at the end of the day, that was my coin to toss.

I hate that I had to learn the hard way, though.

"Went left as far as what?" I sighed heavily and rolled my eyes as I slid my chains on. "It doesn't matter, Ma,"

"It does matter, Sincere!" I smacked my lips, "Ma, can we just drop it, please? The important part is I'm working to get us back on track. That's all that matters."

She hummed before she spoke again, "You cheated, didn't you?"

"Mama, I—"

"No, don't try and blow me off. If y'all ended over something you weren't ashamed of,  you would've been open about it," She says before she paused, "Stop actin' like I don't know you, Sincere Ahmad,"

I threw my hands up and shook my head. I already knew this was a losing game, so I wasn't even gonna go back and forth with her. I could tell by her tone that she was pissed off, and I really didn't even understand why because my shit had nothin' to do with her.

"Aight, ma, whatever. I get that. But what I don't understand is, why are you pissed off?"

"Because I didn't raise a cheater! I didn't raise you to be a trifling ass, pitiful ass man, Sincere! That's why I'm pissed off,"

As she continued to talk, I felt my attitude settling in. I could understand those sentiments, but at the end of the day, that was none of her damn business. I knew where I went wrong and I was currently tryin' to make it right and get it together.

Damn. Couldn't I at least get some credit for that?

"I know you're a grown man, Sincere and have been for quite some time. I know you don't need me on your back about the decisions you're making, but you know I cannot and will not condone that type of behavior,"

At this point, I was silent and allowing her to ramble on. There was nothing she can say to me or about my situation that hasn't already been said or thought about. I just wished that shit wouldn't keep gettin' brought up or thrown in my face.

"Hello?"

I really wanted to hang up on her ass, but I knew better than to do that.

Knowing her, she would leave a lengthy ass voicemail, saying something like: "You'll never get the chance to treat me like I'm a piece of shit again, Sincere. Don't call my muthafuckin' phone ever again, do you hear me!?! I am not one of your lil' friends, I am your mother! Goodbye!"