Nineteen

Zola 'Slim' Monroe || November 1998

Friday:

   "You sure you don't need nothin'? Like, I could bring you lunch...or maybe even that kiss I haven't gotten yet?"

I giggled to myself, shaking my head as I started to blush. While getting ready for my shift, a call came through from Silas and I missed it, but as soon as I heard his gruff, panty-wetting voice coming through my answering machine, I answered with the quickness.

Since the last time we kicked it, and just talking to him over the course of these last few days, I was really starting to take a liking to him. Our conversations were always fun and refreshing. Not to mention, we had quite a bit in common and we did a lot of bonding over literature, music, movies and other forms of art.

"No, Silas, I promise I'm okay. And besides, you're gonna see me tonight," I reminded him. "Yeah, I know that... I just like bein' in ya' presence, shorty, that's all,"

I bit down on my bottom lip to stop from cheesing so much while I hummed, "You miss me?"

"I mean... you cool to be around," I started to laugh and he did too. "Whatever, dude."

"I'm just kiddin', but, I guess I do... You must miss me too, huh?"

I rolled my eyes as if he could see me, but he had a slight point. I was definitely looking forward to seeing him tonight and having a real date. I mean, a date is always what you make it but this time it's more formal and more chivalrous.

"Um, I suppose? If that helps you sleep at night, sweetheart," I spoke with a smile while I did my best to smooth out the little flyaways that seemed to accompany my simple braided ponytail.

"I suppose," He mocked me and I smacked my lips. "You ain't gotta front, shorty, it's aight. The feeling's always mutual,"

He was just saying all the right things. It seemed like with every phrase that came out of his mouth, he was earning more and more brownie points.

"Mhm,"

"Mhm," He mocked me again.

"You keep mocking me and you gon' have to run me my fade, Sy, forreal," He chuckled, but I knew he definitely didn't take me serious. "Yeah, whatever. Let's see if you about all this shit you talkin' when I see you tonight,"

Just as I opened my mouth to speak again, I was cut off.

"Zo, Sincere's outside!" Kori called from the living room.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pursed my lips in confusion. I've been playing phone tag with this bone head ass nigga for majority of this damn week, and, now he decides to show up unannounced? While I'm on the phone with another man? Goodness.

"Silas, I'm about to finish getting ready for work but I'll see you tonight,"

"Aight, shorty. Have a good day and try not to think about me too much," With that, he ended the call and I scoffed.

Who did this nigga think he was?

I went to put my receiver back in its original spot before exiting my bedroom. Once I got to the living room, Kori was already letting him in. He didn't come empty handed, either.

He had a bouquet of flowers in tow, and he smiled once he saw me and I couldn't help but to do the same.

I was good for talking shit, but I definitely missed him.