Chapter twenty-two

Flashback~

Hoseok pov~

Why you?
Sounds of pent-up frustration and despair left my mouth. Why here?
The smell of burning flesh was the only thing I could smell anymore. I stood, stumbling amongst the rubble. Sobs escaped my mouth.
Why here?
Buildings lay exposed and cut open, the smell of smoke heavy in the air. I stumbled over to her, sobbing loudly. I clung onto the motionless form of my older sister. A blank tear ran down my face, followed by another and another.
Why you?
I held onto her tighter, begging her to wake up.
Why here?
I moved the rubble away from her, her still face, her cheek badly bruised and burnt. I sobbed, clinging onto her harder. She did not stir.
Why didn’t you just run for yourself?
She should have just left me. I let her go, alarmed at how stiff she now was. I don’t know how long I’d been out for. My head throbbed and my knee crunched but I did not care. I wrapped my arms around my stomach tightly, still praying she’ll spring awake any moment and hug me. I pulled my arms away from my front, feeling a sudden warm sensation. Panicking, I looked at my arms, stained with blood. My eyes now darted to my stomach, and to my horror, more dark rich blood came flowing from under my tattered jumper. A large chunk of metal was lodged under my rib.
I choked, suddenly realising the pain and letting it take over. I fell onto the rocky ground, shaking and wide-eyed beside the lifeless being that once was my sister. I didn’t know what else to do; I cried, begging for help, the silence too scary and deafening. There was no one near at all. Everyone was gone. Not a single mouse was left alive.
“Are you lost?”
I looked up, seeing a tall man. I sobbed, shaking my head, looking back at my sister. “Sissy..”
“She’s gone.” They took one glance at her corpse before stating her fate. I cried loudly, holding onto my stomach. They crouched down beside me. “My name is Jin. What’s yours?”
“H-Hoseok.”
He smiled warmly. “I like it. I’m 19, how old are you?”
“Eleven.” I turned away from him, as more sobs fell from my mouth. I couldn’t be bothered to even try to hide them.
“Did you use to live here?”
“I’m not leaving..” My arms left my stomach and I pulled my sister closer, her body still stiff and cold, her empty eyes looking up at the grey stormy sky. More tears fell from my eyes, the pain in my stomach worsening. I saw Jin lick his lips quickly, glancing at my wound.
“I can’t save your sister, but I can save you.”
I looked back at him, shocked. “You can?”
He nodded, despair filling his face. He opened his mouth and I squealed at the sight. He grabbed me, pulling me closer.

Flashback~

Unknown pov~

"Are you sure about this?"
They scowled before nodding. I flicked the switch, turning all the lights off. I looked at the newborn as she started to wail. As much as guilt filled me, there was no other way. The planet is changing too quickly; climate change is everywhere and more and more important links in the food chain are dying out. Preserving an entire season like this was the only way to ensure the survival of the human race.
Ryo had found her in a dumpster. At the mere memory, the deep hatred for human kind crept back into my mind. How could anyone leave their newborn child in a dumpster on a rainy night? It was so unbelievably lucky she had survived this far. Despide how she was found, she was the best option for this. We didn't want to orphan a child for this sole purpose. It was better to take one that had been born and thrown away, so we could give her a new life as much as she would be burdened later. Her death would surely come within 17 years.
"Stop looking so glum."
My head snapped to my right, looking at her. She was watching me suspiciously, eyes cold, arms folded, standing as if ready if I randomly attacked her. I'm not that much of a fool; who in their right mind would want to attack a demon?
I lightly nodded, pulling my eyes away from her. The feared Xeirro. Ryo's wife. No one quite understands how their relationship even works, but they make a strong team. A hunter, with his strength, speed, and agility, with a demon, a powerful being capable of manipulating certain elements, being able to shimmer to any place in the world. No other demons are believed to be alive anymore apart from her.
Xeirro shimmered to the side of the small child, just behind the thick layer of protective glass where I hid. Emotionless, she held out a small scalpel and adjusted the clothing of the child so she could get to her stomach. I closed my eyes and turned away, trying to ignore her screams. A horrible sick feeling filled me and I rushed from the room. My collegue pulled me back, making me watch.
Ryo stepped into the room, making everyone find someplace else to rest their eyes other than on him. He watched as she cut a small hole into the child's skin, placing her finger inside. Within a second, frost flowed from her hand, deep into the child. Xeirro has not blinked once, looking blankly at the child her and Ryo now had to care for. 
Finally, it was over. The baby stopped screaming. I looked over at her. Xeirro was putting down the bloodied scalpel on a metallic tray, and the child was lying still. The place empty of skin on her stomach closed slowly, giving no indication of injury. Now, on her stomach, was a small blue crest, etched deeply into the skin. I shook my head slightly.
No. It's not just etched into her skin. It's now etched into her soul.