Chapter Thirteen: Draft Day

One Year Later (Senior Year - April)

Two weeks before the biggest moment in his football career. Spencer had one hell of a season just as Coach Tribett promised. Waiting one more year to enter the draft was the best decision for him. He was able to find stability and get back to the star player he was before blowing out his knee. Patience was one valuable trait he had gained during the process and he was thankful he listened to the advice of his coach. He felt better than ever and in the best shape of his life.

Balancing school, football and being a father to a one year old was still challenging but also rewarding. Finding out Olivia was pregnant scared him shitless. They weren't ready to be parents and he was in the worst mental shape he'd ever been in. With Faith coming into their worlds, she had been the biggest blessing and learning lesson for them. Every day was rewarding when it came to seeing Faith grow. Spencer and Olivia fell in love with her more each day.

Now Spencer was about to take another big step. It had been a year since he had the ring in his hands. He wanted to wait on the right moment to pop the big question and with them graduating college and him about to enter the league, it was time. Spencer sat outside the Baker's home, calming himself down before officially asking for Billy and Laura's approval.

"Spence! How you doing, son? You didn't bring Faith with you," Billy asked, letting Spencer inside.

"Nah, she was pretty attached to Liv today so I left her at home. Is moms here too," Spencer questioned, following Billy to the kitchen.

"Yep! I'm in here," Laura called out from the dining room. "Aww, no Faith?"

"We have a baby and she just becomes the main event," Spencer chuckled seeing Laura pout.

"You damn right," the coach threw in. "That's grandpa's baby! But come on in, man. What's going on?"

"Well, I actually came over here to ask you both something very important. It's been on my mind for about a year and I'm ready to go through with this if you'd allow me," Spencer pulled the black box from his jacket pocket and put it in the middle of the table. "I'd like to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage."

"Oh wow," Billy said, shocked that this day had finally come.

"Oh my God," Laura gasped, staring at the ring. "You already know I see you as my son so it's a yes from me. This ring is beautiful, Spencer."

"Thanks, Mrs. Baker," Spencer turned his attention to his old coach. "That leaves you, Coach."

Billy stared at the ring for a few moments until his smile grew, "If only you knew how happy I'd be to call you my son-in-law."

"Whew, that was easier than I thought it would be," Spencer sighed, wiping his forehead.

"You knew we'd say yes," Laura grinned, grabbing the ring again to admire it.

"When are you proposing," Billy added. "You know she's going to cry."

"The night before the draft. Before things get crazy. So in two weeks," he explained, unable to contain his happiness. "Since we'll be in New York, I figured I'd take her to her favorite restaurant and propose in our suite later that night. We'll have the perfect view."

"She's going to love that. Of course, we'll be in New York but if she sees us, she'll be suspicious. We can go out to dinner to celebrate when you all have time," Billy suggested. "I'm proud of you. I can't believe you two are about to graduate from college. You going to the NFL...time flies."