Chapter Eight: Daddy Lessons

"Are you sure," Spencer questioned, his tone flat as he tried to process what Olivia was saying on the other end. They had been in this situation once before and it ended up being a scare. If any time was more perfect for a scare, it was now.

"I'm pretty sure. The test said positive and I'm late. Very late," Olivia explained.

"We were using protection. Maybe you should take another test, Liv. Just to be sure." His tone was beginning to irritate her.

"Actually there was a time when we didn't. At the cabin," she revealed, jogging Spencer's memory until he remembered the romantic getaway that weekend.

"Shit," he cursed under his breath. "I'm sorry, I'm just freaking out. Have you seen a doctor yet? When are you coming back home?"

"I haven't seen a doctor yet. I just found out today but I'm going to schedule an appointment with one here for the time being," she explained.

"What do you mean for the time being? I know you aren't thinking about staying there in New York while you're pregnant," Spencer frowned, pulling the phone from his face as if Olivia could see his expression.

"If the doctor tells me I'm safe to continue dancing for at least one more month. Women do it all the time, Spencer. It's not out of the ordinary. I promise if the doctors tell me to stop right now, I will."

"Well I'm coming up there for the first appointment," Spencer responded.

"Aren't you still in recovery? You don't need to do that," Olivia pressed back.

"Olivia, you're pregnant with my child. There's no way you're talking me out of coming up there."

"I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Just trying to make things easier for you. I know you're..."

Spencer cut her off before she could even finish the thought, "Let me know when the appointment is and I'll catch a flight."

————
Finding out about Olivia's pregnancy sent Spencer into a tailspin. He immediately left campus and went home to take his mind off the crazy turns his life was taking. He needed some of his mother's love to put him back on track or at least he hoped Grace's wisdom would be the thing to help him start to piece his life back together.

As soon as Spencer entered the house, Grace could feel something was heavy on his mind. Throughout his healing process, she had been checking in on him more even though he didn't open up about his true feelings all the time. Today felt heavier than usual.

"Baby, what's going on? You told me you missed my Mac n cheese and you've barely touched it," the mother questioned, putting down her fork and staring at her eldest son across the table. Spencer looked up for a second, then his eyes fell back to his plate. "Spencer, you know you can tell me anything? Is it about your breakup with Liv?"

"Not quite. Things are a lot more complicated than that," he mumbled, finally getting tired of picking around at his food. He put the fork down and leaned back against the chair.

"Okay? Explain," Grace replied.

"Liv's pregnant, ma," Spencer admitted after a moment of silence, not even able to look Grace in the eyes.

The mother closed her eyes, searching for words that wouldn't create more stress though she had a lot to say, "Spencer we've talked about protection time and time again. Now haven't we?"