6 years ago : August 19th 2014

please remember to VOTE, FOLLOW, COMMENT, TAG and SHARE so i can get more publicity

-----------------------------

6 years ago : August 19th 2014

I ran out onto the decking, holding the water hose. I place it over the slide and turn the water on full blast. It shoots out, creating a foamy, soapy puddle that floats gently on top of the ocean.

"Come on Ezra, I wanted to go first" I hear Levi whine.

"But it's my house, and it's my slide, so I get to go first!" Ezra shouts back.

Before Levi can argue about being the guest at our old beach house in Somerset, Ezra whooshes down the slide at immense speed. Water sprays from the side of the slide, covering me and Levi until we're soaking wet. Levi shakes off like a dog and I copy, making them laugh as I jiggle around stupidly.

Levi runs to the ladder, "YES, it's my turn now!"

He pounds his fist in the air in excitement, when a frail little boy peeks out from behind a nearby tree.

"Levii, Mummy says it's my go now," Liam pouts.

Levi huffs, then runs over to Liam who tiptoes when his big brother goes to whisper something in his ear.

After a few minutes of confused looks and heavy nodding, Levi bends down to help Liam onto his back.

"Yay, Levi give me piggyback rideee!" I watch as Levi lifts the meek, 7 year old boy onto his back, then lifts him onto the slide. Then he gets on and leans him onto his lap and slowly goes down towards the sea.

When they land into the water with a plop, Liam bursts into tears. Levi swims towards him to try and help the struggling boy out, who clearly can't stay afloat.

"Levi, I don't think I like the water." A bit late now.

I see him splutter as water splashes around him.

Suddenly someone rushes out and lifts Liam out of the water with ease, "Jesus christ Levi, you couldn't even look after the kid for a second. I wonder what would've happened if I didn't come and rescue him. So irresponsible!"

Levi ducks his head in shame.

"But Daddy, Levi was just helping me down the slide..." Liam's bottom lip quivers.

Why was his Dad being so mean to him, he didn't do anything wrong.

"Sorry Dad, it won't happen again" he walks off mumbling something about 'thirsty', 'hot' and 'drink'.

----------------

I look around the garden, a BBQ to the left, chattering parents on the right and the pretty view of our little private beach in the distance. Mine and Levi's family gather around the firepit, various conversations going on - most of them are too boring to pay attention to.

I tune into Liam's conversation - where he's talking about the stars, apparently it's always been a big fascination of his and that when he grows up he wants to be an astronaut.

"What's a supernova? Well a supernova is a large explosion that happens at the end of a star's life cycle because it's the explosion of a star! It is the largest explosion that happens in space and it's around 8 times larger than the sun!" he says enthusiastically to my brother.

I dont get how this kid can already be so intelligent? He's only 7 and is making me look like i'm one of the dumbest people on the planet. Like I didn't understand 90% of the stuff he just said.

Suddenly the smell of burning wafts in the air, and I see Ed - Levi's dad - run to put out the flaming burgers. We all laugh at the silly face Ed made when his apron caught fire, and poured Ezra's glass of water all over the charred fabric.

Over the last few months, our families have become fast friends. Partys, dinners and now holidays. Our mums were attached by the hip, and to be honest I'd never seen Mummy so happy.

Jennifer was like my second mum, she came round for coffee almost everyday and she would always natter for hours whenever she met with my mum. It even got annoying sometimes, but secretly I loved her company.

I look over to see Liam, bouncing up and down on Jennifer's leg, playing battle-war with his spaceships. He makes loud noises each time they clash, as if they're exploding.

I giggle at his funny personality, which is exactly like Levi's.

I glance over at Levi and back at Liam, they look almost identical - in attitude and looks. They look just like Jennifer - dark hair, icy blue eyes, full lips - and I bet without the age-gap they'd look like twins. The only difference is that Liam has Ed's nose which is rounder than Jennifer's and Levi's.

Liam throws his spaceships across the garden with dismiss when his Dad calls him to get the first hotdog.

Jennifer hops him off her lap and walks back into the house when a man named Mark rings her, Ed staring slightly too much as she picks up the call.

The kids sit over by the swings to eat our BBQ and drink white grape shloer like it's some fancy adult drink. We use our parents' spare champagne flutes and hold them with our pinkies in the air just like Jennifer does.

I see Levi walking over to us, wearing swimming trunks and an oversized hoodie. For some reason, I bite my lip and stare at him for slightly too long as he runs his hands through his messy wet hair. After a few seconds, I realise I have a bit of drool on the corner of my mouth so I quickly wipe it and look away.

What's this weird fluttery feeling?

And why won't it go away?

------------------------------

please remember to VOTE, FOLLOW, COMMENT, TAG and SHARE so i can get more publicity