Chapter Forty Nine

Lily's POV

The first goodbye was bad. Like a sad coming-of-age movie scene bad. But it's nothing compared to this. It's nothing compared to this feeling of sorrow and loneliness that floats around the room like a heavy blanket.

We talked last night, we did. But we couldn't actually accept it. We laid there in denial. Trying to keep our perfect bubble from popping.

"I can't believe you leave tomorrow," Rea sighs, her fingers tracing shapes on my arm. I bury my face in her neck, shaking my head.

"I've been trying not to think about it," I mutter, my voice muffled by her skin.

"What time do you leave?"

I don't answer right away, thinking over the details, because if i'm being honest, i've been avoiding it. "My flight leaves at noon, and i think i meet Ann there at around 11, so i'll leave here around 10?"

She huffs sadly, pausing her motions on my arm to hug me closer. It saddens me, having to leave after we had just figured out something so important, but we both have things we need to get back to. "Well at least we have tonight," she says in the most hopeful tone she can get out.

I shrug, lifting my head up to meet her eyes, "can we not talk about it anymore? I don't want to spend my last night here sad about leaving, let's just make the best of it?"

"Of course we can, anything you want," she agrees and lets out a small smile, leaning down to peck my lips. "Let's pretend we have all the time in the world."

We did everything to keep our eyes from closing and letting the next day creep up on us. But eventually our exhaustion took over causing the morning light to peek through the curtains and the beeping of my alarm to come far quicker than either of us might have liked.

Rea woke up quicker than I did, leaning to turn my alarm off and trying to shake me awake. I groan, tighting my grip around her torso. "No."

"Come on love, it's time to get up and pack."

"Mhmmm, I don't want to, I want to sleep."

I don't think of my responsibilities, all I can think of is how exhausted I am, how my eyes can barely stay open.

~~

The first thing I realize when I wake up is the emptiness next to me, Rea is gone, the blanket moved to the side. The next thing I think of is, fuck my flight.

I shoot up to check my phone, the time reading '8:50 AM'. The panic fills me, having an hour and ten minutes before I need to be out the door, with nothing packed. I swear I should've woken up when my 7:30 alarm went off.

I shiver when I throw the blanket off me, the chill of the room rising goosebumps on my arms. I go searching for Rea before I give my suitcase another thought.

I find her sitting on her living room floor trying to push down the top of my suitcase, struggling to zip it. I laugh at the image, covering my mouth when her head looks my way. "You need some help?"

She rolls her eyes, beginning to push it down with her knee. "No- If it would just-" her sentence is cut off when she successfully zips it, a look of pride on her face. "See? No help needed."

"Wait, what are you doing anyway?"

She pushed herself from the floor, standing up and brushing off her pajamas. "Well you were really tired, and I can't say no to you, so I let you sleep a bit extra and packed your bag for you. I was going to wake you up at 9, but it looks like you did that for me."