Chapter 14

Marinette

She couldn't believe the answer had been staring her right in the face the entire time. Of course it had been an iris. The Fleur de lis. It had been the royal's emblem. Iris was their national flower.

"You seem ecstatic."

He chuckled, and she glanced at him.

"All we have to do is find a flower and get back. We might actually win."

"We've been out here for hours. You really think we still have a chance of winning?"

He sounded full of disbelief, and she grinned at him.

"A girl can hope."

He rolled his eyes, before stopping and picking up a stick. He held it up to her, measuring her arm.

"Well, you're right. It's just the flower now."

He proudly stuck it into the bookbag, and she felt her heart skip. He looked so happy. She folded the paper up, sticking it in her back pocket.

"While we're looking, since this is an excercise for trust and all, can we talk about this morning?"

She sucked in a soft breath, thinking back to what Alya had said. They were at war. War meant that you didn't back down, and that you didn't lose ground.

"What about it?"

She had to act calm and collected, as if the kiss had done nothing to her. As if her outfit had nothing to do with it.

"I wanted to apologize again."

"What for?"

She did her best to act as if the conversation didn't bother her, but she wanted to scream at him. She was fed up with constant excuses pouring out of his mouth.

"For uh...for kissing you."

"Why are you apogizing for that?"

He seemed confused by her question, and she decided to throw in an innocent look for good measure. He quickly looked away, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I uh... well I didn't... I didn't want to give you the wrong impression."

Of course you didn't, but that's exactly what you did.

"Oh? What would that wrong impression be?"

He seemed almost horrified by that question, before he suddenly found an answer.

"That I was trying to play with your feelings. I would never do that to you on purpose Marinette."

"Instead of playing with my feelings you just wanted to play with my mouth?" She asked innocently and he stumbled, over seemingly nothing.

"What? No. No of course not."

"So you wanted to play with something else then?"

She could feel the blush rising in her cheeks, and she hoped it only completed the innocent look she was trying to portray. He halted in his tracks completely, and she turned, squinting her eyes in the light of the setting sun.

"Is everything alright?"

"Marinette. Is that really what you think of me?"

"Sounds like you're dodging the question to me." She retorted, her tone slipping almost completely.

He stepped closer, shading her face from the sun. She forced herself to look up at him, her heart hammering in her chest.

"Just what else would I have played with Marinette?"