Feeling Weird

Gilbert's POV.

We lay in bed as our chests rise and fall with every breath we take. Sweat running down my neck as I wipe it away. I turn to my right, my eyes meeting Flora's messy state.

Her breath is still heavy as she tries to gather herself.

"You okay?" I ask her. She turns to me and a small smile finds her face.

"We're gonna have to change the sheets." She says, making me chuckle. She looks away from me and sighs. She stands up, putting her white robe around her body.

"What's going on?" I ask her. I can tell that she's not okay. Or at least not telling me something.

"Nothing. You don't have to worry about anything." She slides her body under the covers again and scooches herself closer to me. Her head rests on me as I play with the ends of her hair.

"No. Tell me. I want to help."

"I'm just not feeling the best at the moment." She tells me as she looks up to meet my eyes.

"Was I too harsh?" I start feeling bad.

"No. No, it's not that. I've been feeling this way for a while."

"You should've told me."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. What is it that you're feeling?"

"Nausea. Headache. Heartburn. I'm basically on my death bed." She laughs at her own joke. The poor girl.

"Since when?"

"For like three days."

"It'll get better." I kiss her temple as she closes her eyes, leaning towards the touch. Her breath gets slower as she relaxes into my embrace. Suddenly I feel her jump up. She sits up on the bed and looks at me panicked. I raise my body into a sitting position as I start getting worried.

She runs from the bed and stumbles into the bathroom. I jump out of bed and pull on my pants and trousers quickly. I run after her, but she closes the door and locks it before I get too close.

"Open the door, Florence."

"You already saw this once, you don't need to see it again." I hear her weak voice say.

"Open the door, Florence Lee Thompson." I knock on the door, but she doesn't let me in. "Please, open the door."

I hear water running and she opens the door.

"I threw up." She tells me with a disgusted face.

"Maybe you have a fever." I tell her. I raise my hand to her forehead and bring it back down when I feel that her temperature is normal. "... No. Not a fever. Just lay down and get some rest." She leans on me as I walk her back to the bed. She pulls the covers over her body and looks at me. I give her a smile. "I'll make you something to help with the sick stomach."

"Okay."

I walk into the kitchen as I start boiling water for her tea.

As I boil the water I feel a feeling in the pit of my stomach. I have a feeling that... maybe Flora... I don't know. Never mind.

I make the tea with a teaspoon full of honey, just like she likes it and I walk it back into the bedroom. I put it on the bedside table as she looks happy at seeing the tea.

"Thank you." Her sweet voice whispers to me. I smile at her.

"Flora?"

"Hmm?" She takes a sip of her tea.

"When are you supposed to be menstruating?" I finally get the courage to ask her. Her answer is going to be an important one. I just have a feeling that Flora's not actually sick, but just having symptoms of something a little more serious than that.

"Why are you asking me this?" Her cheeks flush a light pink from embarrassment.

"Don't worry. It's okay. You can tell me. I just want to know. It may be the reason to why you're feeling sick."

She grabs a notebook from the bedside table and opens it, scrolling through the pages until she stops at one.

"I was supposed to get it 4 days ago, but it's okay. It's often late. You don't have to worry about me."

My heart drops to the floor. I look at her and try my hardest to act like I didn't just have a mini heart attack.

"You okay?" She asks me.

"I'm fine. Yeah. I'm good." I lean my back against the wall. It's okay. Her answer doesn't mean anything. Like she said... 'It's often late'. Right? She said that. So it's going to be okay and I am not going to panic for my sake and also for hers.

She's fine. She's not in any type of pain or anything, right?

"Are you alright, Love?" I ask her. "Pain? Still nauseous?"

"No, I'm okay now." She puts the tea down and stands up.

"No, no, no, no. Stay in bed. Stay in bed and If you need anything, I'll get it for you."

"Well, you can't really get the toilet, can you?"

"Why? Do you need to throw up again?"

"...No, I just need to pee.... Why are you so worried?" She asks me." You're the doctor, not me. Tell me, is there something seriously wrong with me? Am I really sick? Is it that bad? Should I be worried-"

"Hey, stop panicking. Everything's fine." I tell her.

She nods and heads for the bathroom. Once the door is closed I almost pass out. I panic so much that my back starts to sweat. I run my hand through my hair, thinking of any type of other possibilities for these symptoms, but my mind seems blank. Only one word circling my brain into twists.

PREGNANT.