Chapter Thirty-Three

Life at this school has never been boring for me (for obvious reasons) but the next few days are some of my busiest. I have work to catch up on, exams to compete, grovelling to do.

Well, not much grovelling, Elijah's exact words were, "I won't be angry at you for doing what you had to in order to survive." He also asked if I still had feelings for Vincent, to which I obviously said no, I don't even remember it. And to Elijah, that was that, case closed.

Which somehow makes the whole thing worse. He's so forgiving and understanding. Even knowing that, I still allowed another boy to kiss me. I'm not sure how much letting someone's mouth on mine is about survival, but more about how the Other Me had feelings for Vincent. It's not something I really want to think about. I'm not that girl and as far as I know, I never really was.

It's practically all I can do to A) avoid Vincent, who pops up everywhere. B) Keep my head afloat with the sheer amount of work I have to do. C) Not worry about my up-and-coming meeting with Ethan Kade, and what that might mean for my dads legacy.

Miss Gateshead has found a safe house for me to go to once school finishes, she said she'd be assigning a security detail for me. I get the distinct impression my one-armed (unofficial) boyfriend and his one-legged brother aren't going to be assigned protection duties. My ultimate fear is that I'm going to be lumped with Vincent. In fact, I'm fairly certain that's exactly what's going to happen and I don't know how to stop it.

Late on the evening before I'm due to leave, I find myself wondering the halls of the school, it's quiet. I've just been to see Elijah and Stan, they were fine, happy even. I walk down all the corridors, looking around, taking it all in. Until finally, I'm stood in large room, covered in grand oil paintings of the founders, and I'm completely alone.

I thought anyway, until a voice comes from behind me.

"I've always liked this room."

Vincent. Vincent is stood behind me as if this is an everyday occurrence. As if we didn't meet because he infiltrated a terrorist ring, subsequently saving my life.

I didn't think anyone could sneak up on me, but Elijah's done it, Daniels done it, and now Vincent too.

"I thought you didn't go to the school." I mutter. "How can you have a favourite room?"

"I don't go to the school," He says, then pauses. "Now I've finished I never will. Onto university for me. But I do also live with my mum, who lives here. I've always snuck around in the evening. I love sneaking around."

"Somehow that seems about right for you." I say, even though I'm not sure how I know that.

Vincent cocks his head to the side and leans one shoulder against the wall, staring at me. I can feel his eyes on me, like I could in Miss Gateshead's office. I can feel he's reading me. It makes me feel naked. I'm not sure feeling naked in a room alone with him is wise. Not when the boy I truly care about is down the hall, nursing a wound from a bullet he took for me.

"How's Elijah?" He asks.

I stare at him, but there's no mocking, no malice, he genuinely wants to know.

"Better. He can lift his arm now."

Vincent raises his eyebrows, mockingly. "Can he? I'm sure that will help protect you from the Agents of Anarchy."

I can't help it, I laugh. "Is that what they call
themselves? The Agents of Anarchy?"

Vincent laughs too, "Oh, yes. They take it very seriously. The only thing that can tear them from the organisation is death."