Chapter Six

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Stan Jones says. "This is your second year into Covert Missions and you've just been blown out of the water by someone who has never been to a school like this before..."

"Oh," I whisper, the ball finally dropping.

C.M really does stand for Covert Missions. They weren't joking. This is a school for spies. I almost burst out laughing right there on the spot; what the bloody hell am I doing in a school for spies?

Then the shock wears off and I'm angry. Really pissed. What on earth does my family want me in a school like this for? Of all people, why did my quiet engineer of a dad, want me here? Who the hell is Miss Gateshead?

It's one thing to send me to a school for the super smart and hope I'll survive. It's an entirely other thing to send me to a school where they're taught how to kill a man with their finger from year seven! Every student here will have been enrolled since they were eleven. They've got a five years head start on me!

Without thinking, I get to my feet. Stan Jones is still in the middle of his lecture, a few people turn to look at me. My eyes meet Elijah's and he is frowning at me in confusion - there's no reason I should be stood right now. But I don't care. There's only one person in this place who can answer any questions for me and that's Miss Gateshead.

Without saying a word I march right out of that hall, no one stops me, which is good, because I feel pretty unstoppable. I charge right out of the building and across the school to Miss Gateshead's office. I only know where it is from the map I memorised. I don't stop to talk to the receptionist, I don't even bother to knock on the office door. I just charge straight into the room, ignoring the protesting middle-aged woman sat behind a desk.

When the door is fully opened and I'm striding in, it's hard not to spot Miss Gateshead. She's sat at a large wooden desk in the middle of the room, her red hair in a tight ballerina bun on her head, making her face more cat-like and tight. As our eyes meet, I know she is not surprised to see me. I would guess she was expecting my arrival, actually.

"Young lady!" The receptionist is chiding as she bustles in behind me. "You cannot just storm-"

"It's alright," Miss Gateshead cuts her off, holding a palm up. "It's fine, Dorris. Honestly. You can go. I'll deal with Miss Warbur."

Dorris looks like she's going to seriously argue it, but Miss Gateshead doesn't look like she is to be contested, she looks stern and serious. So Dorris relents and nods before diving out the room again.

Miss Gateshead's eyes turn to me, and she gestures to one of the wooden chairs in front of her desk. I stay where I am.

"Very well, Amelia." She says. "What can I do for you?"

"That's a loaded statement." I spit. "Are you aware that this is a school for spies?"

"Given that I am the Headmistress, I like to think I'm extremely aware."

"And you didn't think to fill me in on that tiny detail? Not when you, my mum and my father, who by the way, can conveniently talk from the grave, decided this was what was best for me?"

"I understand you're upset," Miss Gateshead says in an extremely cool tone, which somehow is more annoying than if she were as upset as I am.

"Do you?" My voice is sharp. "Were you forced into a boarding school shortly after your father died, only to find out it's a school for spies and you've got a lot of catching up to do?"

"No."

"Then I don't see how you can understand."

There's a pause, then Miss Gateshead says, "please, take a seat." Her voice is a little threatening and for all my bravdo, Miss Gateshead is a bit terrifying. I let it look like I'm not going to then I relent.