Chapter Two

The day of the funeral arrives. Mums placed me in a horrible long black dress, one that matches hers. On her, it's slim fitting and stunning. On me, it looks like I've been shoved into a black bin bag.

The turn out is surprising. Sixty-five people come. I know seven of them, with me and mum being two. Growing up it was never weird to me that I didn't have grandparents because I never had them, so I didn't know differently. But having mum and I sat to the side as dads only family feels incredibly depressing.

We're in Gap Road cemetery, a ten minute walk from our home. It's where dad is to be buried. His whole vivid life reduced to a hole in the ground next to the lane that runs through the graveyard. I can think of at least ninety other places I would rather be, and yet this is where I am.

I'm thankful when the priest finally begins his speech, never taking his eyes off my weeping mother, as though his words are solely for her. I look at him as he looks at her and I begin to feel uncomfortable by how intense his gaze is.

The only thing that draws my eyes away from him is a car. A Range Rover that is slowly crawling up beside us. It cruises to a halt just next to the hole, then a tall red-haired woman exits before making her way towards us. A blonde woman and brunette man flank either side of her. They're all in black, all of them wearing sunglasses, though it's not a very sunny day.

There's something very striking about the redhead, she's not attractive or very pretty. Her features are sharp, her cheekbones high. Her hair frames her face, she's tall, slim and toned. Even though the funeral is about dad, she somehow commands all the attention.

"Ashes to ashes..." The priest says.

I know this is the point the coffin is lowered into the ground but I can't look. It's too final. Images of lowering Fluffy's makeshift coffin filter through my mind, and it's all almost too much to bare. As if sensing I'm about to run, or scream, or something, mums hand clamps down on mine and holds me in place. 

It centers me and I focus back on the redhead, who's looking right back at me.

When the laying-my-dad-in-the-ground part is over, we all disburse and make our way to the local pub for the wake. People I would have sworn I didn't know exist, say my name and hug me, as though they're my best friends, telling me what a great father I had. I smile warmly and hug them all back, as though it's a joyous event and they've come for a party.

"This is Amelia!" My mums shrill voice rings out.

I look past the latest person I'm embracing to see she's forcing her way through the crowd, her head bobbing between people, pulling the striking redheaded woman with her - right towards me. The blonde woman and brunette man right behind her. They stop in front of me, seemingly waiting for something.

"Hello," I say, when the silence is stifling.

The woman looks me up and down, not impressed but not unimpressed either. She stares at me for a long while, and I begin to feel like an insect under a microscope. I try very hard not to squirm or slink off.

"She'll do just fine." The woman tells my mum, to which mum gleefully grins.

"I'll do?" I ask, looking from the woman to mum. I can't help it. I've never been patient and I don't have the temperament to deal with whatever this is. Not today.

"Oh, darling." Mum practically sings. "This is Miss Gateshead. She's the headmistress of Queen Aindreas. The private boarding school your father and I loved so much."

I look between the both of them as they wait for the name of the school to yield some sort of response. It doesn't because I have never, in my life, heard of it. I haven't heard dad mention it and I have certainly never seen mum be excited about any school. My face is stony as I look at them, confused as to what role I should be playing. Mum looks embarrassed and Miss Gateshead looks amused. I decide to be honest.