Chapter Thirty-Two

At 9am I leave Elijah to make way to my last exam of the year. By 10:43am, I'm being accosted by Tessa in the entryway of the hall, telling me I have to head to Miss Gateshead office right now.

I don't question it, don't waste time. I turn on my heel and weave through the stampede of students, heading straight there. My mind races; will Ethan Kade be there? Does she have new information? I seldom see Miss Gateshead, and whenever I do it's because something major has happened; i.e my dad dies, I get kidnapped, you know, all the fun stuff.

"Have a seat," Dorris tells me before I even open my mouth, pointing to an empty chair. "She'll be with you shortly."

"Okay," I say, lowering myself into it. "Thanks."

I sit and watch Dorris furiously type into her computer, aggressively ignoring the endlessly ringing phone. Five minutes pass, then ten, then twenty and I begin to think she's forgotten about me. But then Miss Gateshead's office door swings back, and the redhead appears. She steps halfway into the waiting room before her eyes fall to me.

"Amelia," She says, pushing the door back a bit. "Why don't you come in?"

I gather my things and rush towards her. She leads the way in, but my steps falter when I see what's inside. There's another boy already sat in her office. I only see the back of his head, he's tall, brown haired, I've never met him before; he doesn't go to the school anyhow.

"Take a seat," Miss Gateshead smiles at me, but it's tight, uncomfortable. I do as I'm told.

She walks around to her desk and I don't take my eyes off her, even though the boy is staring at me. I can feel his eyes on me like the sun through a magnifying glass. I squirm a little. Miss Gateshead sits in her chair and we all remain silent. They both look at me, waiting for something.

After what feels like a very long, awkward time, Miss Gateshead finally says, "Amelia, do you know this boy?"

I turn my head, my eyes land on brown eyes, caramel skin, staring right back at me. It takes a while for me to register who he is, too long for someone who remembers everything. He's the boy that didn't laugh at Daniels joke the night they kidnapped me, the one who supposedly freed me. He's the boy in my dreams.

"Vincent?" I whisper, unable to take my eyes off him.

Vincent smiles and looks at Miss Gateshead, "Told you she'd remember me."

Miss Gateshead doesn't look moved, or convinced.

"I don't," I whisper. I almost want to touch him, make sure he's real. "I don't remember you. Not really."

Vincent deflates visibly. He looks down at his foot, scuffing it off the floor. The he grumbles out, "You remembered Elijah, didn't you? That part of your memory came back. I bet you remembered him."

"I-" don't know what to say.

I'm speechless, I can't understand. Why is the boy from my dreams sat in the chair opposite my Headmistress? In my school? Why is someone who knowingly works for the C.O.A allowed to sit there and stare at me? Why does he get to ask me any questions when he helped orchestrate my kidnapping and torture?

I jump to my feet. I have to get out of there. It's not safe. I need to run to Elijah, but what can he do? He's got one arm. Stan has one leg and I'm locked in this bloody office.