Chapter Thirteen

"Amelia," Miss Gateshead says softly, "How are you feeling?"

I look up at at her. The lights have been turned on, they're florescent and painful. Through the windows the sun has started to come up, Elijah told me it's 6.30am sharp. I was out for thirteen hours. Miss Gateshead and Stan are both stood at the foot of my bed, looking more serious than I thought possible. Elijah has moved so he's on the edge of the bed, his body at an angle, forming a human shield between me and them. His hand is engulfing mine, it's nice and reassuring; it keeps me grounded and lets me know I'm not alone.

"I don't know how I feel," I tell her, honestly. "Scared? lonely? confused?"

Miss Gateshead nods, "Of course, of course. A very traumatic event indeed. I remember when my old partner was shot in the leg, horrific incident. I didn't sleep for a week."

"Did she survive?" I ask.

Miss Gateshead beams, "She did. Walks around fine now."

I stare at her, "Did you just compare your alive friend being shot in the leg, to my mother being shot in the head? In front of me?"

Miss Gateshead's head twitches a fraction, like she's glitching, then she says, "Oh, heavens! I think I did! Terribly sorry about that."

Stan, seemingly had enough of the niceties says, "We need you to tell us what you know."

"Well, that's easy." I say, "I know literally nothing. Up until yesterday, I didn't even know my parents were spies."

"You had no idea?" He asks.

"No. You think I've been pretending this whole time? I had no idea this was a spy school and even when I was told, I still didn't believe it."

"That's true," Miss Gateshead nods, "She came barreling into my office demanding answers."

"Yes, and you told me my dad was an engineer," I say.

She nods, "He was... among other things."

"What else did your mum say?" Stan asks, bringing us back to the point.

"Nothing that makes sense." I shrug, "She said that I was to trust no one, that dad had enemies and that they were after me."

"Who are they?" Stan demands.

"I don't know," I tell him and he tuts. "Look, I'm sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but I honestly have no idea what she was on about. I thought she was having a psychotic break when she showed up, that she was delusional, then she was shot in the head so that shows me, doesn't it?"

"Did she mention how she knew where you'd be and at what time?"

"No."

"I don't think you grasp how serious this is, Amelia." Stan says, he's practically frothing at the mouth. "She was shot in broad daylight, in front of a group of spies in training, after finding out exactly where we were and at what time. Every student is at risk against some invisible enemy. And the only common dominator is you."

Anger bubbles away at me, "My mother was shot, Stan. Right in front of me. My father died a month ago. Last night I became an orphan with no one, and nothing. It is not lost on me how serious this is, but I do not have any information to give you. I've told you everything I know. Would you like me to make things up so you can feel better? So you feel safer, would that help you?"

"Better not," Miss Gateshead says, nodding to the glass in my hand Sister handed me not five minutes ago. "We put truth serum in the orange juice that you're nursing. One little lie and you will go into anaphylactic shock."