Chapter Twenty-Eight

I don't get to really take on board what this means, digest it, think about it or understand, before Elijah is on him. He moves from the floor and into Daniels space in a blur. Elijah wraps his hand around Daniels neck, using the momentum to slam him into the hallway and hold him against the wall. It's as if it's all in slow motion.

Daniel doesn't even blink, doesn't react, despite the restrictions on his airway. Instead, he lifts one hand and waggles a finger at Elijah, before smiling and pointing at my chest. I look down as Elijah does, to see a tiny red dot marked right where my heart is.

"Tut, tut." Daniel spits out, "I brought backup."

Elijah shoves him hard and then loosens his grip around his neck, still holding him in place.

"What do you want?" Elijah demands.

"Isn't that obvious?" Daniel ask, "She's finally found it."

Elijah's hand tightens again, and the red dot moves from my chest to Elijah's back, then back to me again. Whoever that is has a clear shot at at us. For a brief second, I think I wouldn't mind getting shot. I won't mind dying. Maybe then the adults will have to take over, maybe then I won't have to take all this on.

But as quickly as the thought comes, it's gone again and I'm sat watching the two boys, because that's what they are, boys; as they glare at each other.

I really don't have time to formulate much of a plan whilst they're not paying attention to me. I have no idea if Stan knows about Daniel and the sniper. For all we know, we're in this alone. Why we didn't think to use comms I'll have to ask later; if we survive.

"Here," I say to Daniel, standing and walking over to him, I roughly shove a hard drive into his hand. "Take it. I literally could care less."

"Amelia!" Elijah hisses, glaring at the vice like grip Daniel has on the hard drive. He hasn't let Daniel go though, not yet.

"This isn't my fight!" I scream, all my frustration pooling out. "I didn't ask for any of this! I don't want any of this! Let him have it, then the Mi5, Mi6, Interpol, CIA, all of them have to get involved don't they? Because that means an attack is imminent! Then it won't be down to me!"

They both look at me a little stunned. Elijah's grip loosens a bit as he takes in what I've just done. But this isn't his choice to make. It's mine. He needs to trust I know what I'm doing, but Elijah is looking at me like I'm an alien; like he's never seen me before.

"She's not the girl you thought she was, huh?" Daniel grins, "She's a coward. I'm sure Vincent felt the same. He freed her you know, they'd built a special... friendship. But being the coward she is, she left him for dead."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, as Elijah hisses, "Shut up."

Daniel looks at me, "Don't worry, Vince alive. Suffering about as much as you did. Oh, to have two boys in love with you, that will die for you; isn't that what most girls dream about?"

I blink at him, unmoved, because I don't remember. "There's no one else in love with me."

Daniel lets out that evil cackle, "You don't need to pretend, I know everything."

"I'm not pretending." I say. I feel embarrassed as I admit, "I just don't remember."

"Oh, how convenient." Daniel laughs, but then his face falls and he glares at me, his eyes are black and cold. "He was my best friend until you voodoo'd him. Now I have to kill him."