I Wish

The car door slammed as mom jumped in the seat. She started the car while I dried myself off. My swimsuit felt sticky on my skin as a ripped off my rash shirt. I shook the sand out of my hair, and pulled out my book. Mom looked at me.
"What?" I asked, looking back at her.
"Well...it's just that..." She stuttered.
"What is it mom?" I asked, again.
She looked down. I could see she felt bad.
"Wouldn't you rather go with some friends to the beach instead of your mom?" She asked.
I turned away. Lately, mom had been really worried about my social life. I didn't know why. It wasn't like I didn't have any friends. I just didn't like to be around any other girls, which I guess was the same thing.
"I'm sorry," she continued, "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings Z, but you have to get out there. You're sixteen and there's so much more to life than hanging around the house and watching reality shows with me on a Friday night."
I looked up at her.
"Well, I am a normal teenager. Didn't you say that you never went out when you were my age?" I spat. She sighed.
"You're right. I never went out that much, and you know what? I regret it every day." She replied.
"And what about Lucas?" She said. I turned around to face her.
"Ew, mom!" I exclaimed. "Lucas?! He's such a player. All he does is go out with girls and then leave 'em the next day."
"Well maybe he's changed. He might need you more than you need him." She raised her eyebrows. I just went back to my book and rolled my eyes as we drove down the sandy road.