CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Fourteen weeks later

SCARLETT

It's at some point during the night that James slips into our bed. I turn over and kiss his face, missing his warm body enough to cling onto him tonight. I need him next to me.

"I took my tablet, so I can't stay long. I just need to hold you," he whispers, still not at the point of trusting himself to spend the entire night next to me.

My growing belly presses against him as he sighs into my neck and pulls my leg to wrap over his hip. "Stay. Please?" I ask.

The softness of his lips pressing up and down my neck is so relaxing. "I don't know if it's time yet. Especially with you being pregnant. It's a risk."

I stroke across his back. "Didn't your therapist say it's time to start testing yourself?"

"Yes," he responds, smiling over my kiss. "I think he did in fact say that, darling."

I laugh. "Well, he hasn't led you wrong yet, has he?"

"Nope." He nuzzles my face. "Maybe I can try it for one night. I haven't been so anxious today."

The anxiety is slowly coming under control now the medication has had time to fully absorb into his system. And he's incredibly happy about it. Me included.

It gives him more freedom as well as the confidence to do things he wouldn't ordinarily dare to do.

"Good idea." I snuggle closer to him. "Another little girl then, huh?"

We found out today we were having a baby girl. We both cheered, but would be happy either way as long as baby is healthy. Elsie is beside herself with excitement, of course, already planning ahead with which toys they can share.

"Yeah. So precious," he whispers, words slowing down.

I play with the hair at the back of his head. "Are you getting tired, baby?"

He hums. "It suddenly gets you."

I kiss his forehead and feel him grow heavier against me. Giving in. "Sweet dreams.

...

"Angelica needs this dress, mummy," Elsie says, pulling at the hem of the fairy-style dress hanging on the rail in Next clothes store.

Amber stops what she's doing. Eyes zooming towards me. "You decided on a name already?"

"Not really. Elsie changes the name every day, but this one sort of stuck. We both really like it," I say.

She searches for her son's size in the pyjama sets. "It's a beautiful name. A big word for someone Elsie's age. I always knew she was a genius."

"Well, of course," I say, making Elsie giggle when I put the fairy dress in the basket. "But, Angelica is also the name of her best friend at play school."