CHAPTER TWO

It's stage 1A breast cancer

It's stage 1A breast cancer. I knew something was terribly wrong as soon as the Macmillan nurse greeted me at the door. They took me straight through to the breast surgeon and oncologist to discuss my diagnosis and treatment plan.

The tumour is around 2.5cm big and is still encased within the right breast tissue. The plan is to remove the mass and start up straight away with a four week course of radiotherapy.

"Do you have any questions?"

I don't know how my brain is functioning right now because I feel like I'm floating around in a terrible daze. I have cancer. Everyone's worst fear come true.

I brought my mum with me because they recommended I bring along a loved one, which again, can only mean bad news. And I'm so glad I did, because I need her warm hand gripping mine right now.

"Will I die?" I ask.

The kind doctor gives me a gentle look. "We caught this very early. It'll be a journey, but I have seen many patients in your position come out of this healthy."

That wasn't a definite answer, but I'll take it. I need to grab onto any positives and believe in them. There's so much to live for. I'm not giving up.

My mum squeezes my hand at what she heard and kisses my knuckles until I lean my head on her shoulder. This is simply a rough patch in my life. A time that will build my strength.

"When will the surgery be?" Mum asks while I close my eyes for a moment.

"Within two weeks," she replies, and my head buzzes.

I have so much to organise. Everything flashes across my mind at once. The kids. The house. My job. I went back part time because they were desperate for staff, and I'm not sure how I go about telling them about my health.

Will they expect me to work through my treatment? Can I even work, or will it drain me?

"We'll be in touch," the surgeon says and the oncologist stands up to leave us with the Macmillan nurse.

It's not until they leave the room that the waterworks start and I cover my face to cry. I have no control of my emotions and they flood out.

"Oh, sweetheart," mum says, dragging me into her arms where I bury my face into her neck. "I'm so so sorry. This is so shit, but you're strong, and you're a fighter."

I sob harder. "I just keep thinking about my babies. I don't want to leave them."

"You won't," she hisses and her voice wobbles.

The nurse puts a hand on my shoulder. "Cancer is very curable when caught early. Your tumour is small in comparison to a stage two diagnosis, so please try to stay positive."

I peel away from mum and sniffle loudly, wiping my wet nose with the tissues she passes over. "Really?"

She nods. "I know the word cancer feels like a death sentence, but it's not. Not with the treatments available now."