CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

SCARLETT

SCARLETT

It's been six days since James slept in our bed. I miss him terribly, but it's the only way we're controlling things. The doctor prescribed a blocker medication which seems to be helping with the nightmares, but it's too early to tell if it's safe to share a bed yet.

I kicked up such a fuss, the receptionist asked if I needed to see a doctor too for stress. Funny. I probably do, but that isn't important right now. Once James is right everything will calm down.

"Do you all fancy coming to the Hull Christmas Fair? It starts next Saturday," mum asks while she stirs her coffee.

I'm instantly thinking that's way too many people for James to cope with all at once. And not to mention the noises too. "I think we'll pass this year."

"Aw," she says sounding sad about it. "Are you sure, honey? It's always so much fun."

"Why don't you take Elsie?" I say, bouncing Lucas on my knee.

"I think she'll like the carrousel. It's a shame you won't all be there," she says, not able to stop smiling at Lucas when he babbles at her.

It's hard for someone to understand when they're not living with the struggles. It's best not to put James in a position that's going to set off his triggers. At least while he's so new into treatment.

"Maybe next year." I try to steer away from the topic.

She empties a packet of brown sugar into her coffee and stirs before taking a big sip. "Yes, definitely, so how's work?"

"Work is fine," I say, bending to pick up Lucas' hat when he tugs it off. "Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?"

"Gosh, no, you know me. I'm a Christmas Eve kind of girl and we are only midway through November," she replies.

I laugh. "That's true. I started in October. Whenever I see a sale somewhere, I grab it while it's cheap."

"That's smart. Can you do me a list for them both so I don't end up buying stuff they'll never use?" she asks, passing over a half of her carrot cake to me.

I pull out Lucas's little pack-up bag and settle him into the high chair so I can feed him a snack. I put the sweet potato mash down first which he peeps at before picking some with his hand to suck on, pushing the spoon I present him away.

"Look at him," mum says on a laugh, passing me over his bib from the changing bag. "God, is he his daddy's double."

"Everyone says that. I can't argue with them," I say back, struggling to secure the bib straps around his neck while he fidgets.

Mum hums. "Even their curls are the same. Oh, did I tell you we're fundraising for Help the Heroes at the Rotary Club this Christmas?"

"No, you didn't. That's amazing, mum. What can I do to help?" Lucas munches on the soft banana bits next.