CHAPTER ELEVEN

James can tell something is wrong

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

James can tell something is wrong. I feel terrible because tonight was supposed to be about him and I'm making it about me. In truth, seeing Mary and hearing what she said has really affected me.

James pulls up on the side of the road next to the dark forests. "Right, come on, you, let's talk."

I unbuckle my seatbelt and swivel around to see his face properly. "I want you to try to talk things out with Max."

"No," he says sharply. "Not about me tonight. I want to know what happened to you today to make you so on edge."

I don't agree with him about it not being about him and will circle back in a moment. "I bumped into Mary at the supermarket and she said some upsetting things."

"What type of upsetting things?" he asks, voice two tones deeper.

I tell him and he wraps his fingers around the steering wheel. "In what world is that okay? Is she right in the head?"

"Clearly not. Like I said, I'm avoiding her from now on," I say, knowing it'll be easier said than done with her in the same department, but I'll speak to my boss to see what she can do.

James reaches out for my hand, stroking his thumb over my skin when I twine our fingers together. The look he gives me says it all. My illness devastated him as much as it did me.

My eyes close when he leans in to kiss me softly. The taste of mint on his tongue a lovely compliment to the warm sensations running around my body at his touch.

"You inspire me every day," he whispers, pulling away to trail his thumb towards my jawline. "I know how scary this has been for you, but yet, still you're so incredibly brave. Our children have one hell of a role model in you."

"Oh James," I say, grabbing his face to kiss him back, totally warmed by his words.

The feel of his hand sliding up my coat pushes the kiss, our tongues touching as soon as he squeezes my skin. It's so nice to get lost in him. It feels right.

The long puffer coat I'm wearing is made for cycling, so it has handy little buttons at my hips which enables me to mount him in the seat when he pulls the lever to push the chair all of the way back.

"My naughty wife," he says in my ear and I laugh, edging back to rub my fingers up the back of his head. "Are you insinuating car sex, darling?"

I press my hand on his when he goes to pull the zipper down on my coat. "I don't want you to touch my boobs."

Suddenly thrown by me, he lets go of the zipper to rest his hand on my hip. "You're beautiful. In every way."

Then he inches forward so our lips brush again, trailing his all the way down my neck until he finds his spot at the bottom that has me moaning out loud.

Keeping his hands away from my boobs, like I asked, he touches my thighs instead, moving around to lift my skirt up to my belly. I grind down on him to catch his erection which is pushing up on his jeans.