CHAPTER FOURTEEN

We spend over an hour searching for Max before we find him curled up asleep on a park bench

We spend over an hour searching for Max before we find him curled up asleep on a park bench. James wakes him and once he comes around, he falls into his arms. They keep embraced for a while until Max stumbles towards my car.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers, and I grab him tight in my arms. "I spoilt everything," he says.

James opens the back door and helps him into the car, then he grabs his face. "The wake is still going ahead. We need to show our faces, don't you think?"

His eyes go wide. "Oh, man, no, they won't—I can't go."

"You can go. I think an apology will mean a lot right now," James replies, not giving him much choice when he shuts the door.

I drive us to Langley Golf Course, squeezing into the last parking space in this huge car park. Max is as quiet as a mouse when he climbs out of the car, folding his arms over his chest.

"I can't walk in there," he says, eyes still heavy from the alcohol.

James strides over and places his hand on his back. "Yes, you can. You're fucking strong, Max. One of the strongest guys I know."

That grabs Max's attention and he smiles. "I owe them all an apology."

"Then come on then. Let's get it over with," James says, grabbing my hand when they make way towards the huge glass building.

It's bright inside and full of people with a huge poppy flower arrangement near the door. Once we push open the door, the heat and chatter hits us, a few people looking over here.

"Max," Derek's dad, Paul is the first to greet us. I think all three of us are holding our breath, but then he holds his arms out. "Thank you for coming back. I'm glad you came back."

Looking like a lost little boy, Max covers his mouth and falls into Paul's embrace, slapping his back. Their shoulders shake and I turn to find James dragging me into his arms.

I cup his cheek when he leans down to kiss me, speaking over his mouth. "I am so proud of you."

That makes him smile. "And that's all I need."

I smile too, resting my head on his chest when he gives me a great big hug. "I totally lost my breath when I saw you all dressed up in your uniform. The last time I saw you like this was at our wedding."

His smile is soft. "Now that was a while ago."

"I know," I say, walking with him towards Maggie who's cradling their little boy, Benjamin on her lap. "Poor Maggie. I can't even imagine her pain."

James squeezes my hip. "I know. It's going to majorly hit her tonight, I think."

Once she spots us, she gives a tired smile, gesturing for us to come over. I bend down to give her a kiss on the cheek, so she doesn't have to stand up, James doing the same before kneeling to say hello to Benjamin.