CHAPTER TEN

A beaten-up-looking Max has been at our door every morning for the last three days

A beaten-up-looking Max has been at our door every morning for the last three days. I let him in every time and he waits patiently in the sitting room, but James is having none of it. The first time, he got angry, shouting at him before leaving for work, but now he just outright ignores him.

This rift needs nipping in the bud quickly before it grows into something even more damaging. Max follows James out of the house and towards his car, saying something I can't quite make out from the front window.

James points in Max's face which can't be a good sign and then he's motioning to the house which has me stepping back in fright of him spotting me spying on them. I move to let the curtains shield me and watch Max throw his hands up in frustration.

James lets him talk then, but as soon as he does, he's climbing into his truck and slamming the door in his face. I know his feelings are extremely hurt and he's angry, but deep down he's angrier for letting his temper win.

Violence is triggering for him. It's a lot of emotions all at once, and he would rather run from them than have to face them. Hence the constant avoidance of everything.

"I tried, Scarlett, but he's refusing to accept my apology. He doesn't want to speak about anything," Max says, appearing at the living room door.

I walk away from the window. "I think you maybe have to give him space. I know he's your friend and you want things right again, but it isn't so easy. There's a lot going on for him right now."

"I can't make him see he didn't cheat on you. The bloke is convinced he did, even when I explain everything to him," he says, and I already know this because James won't even listen to me.

I suppose it's a bridge we'll have to keep crossing until he believes it.

Max looks at his sport watch. "Well, I've got to run or my boss will not only be kicking my arse for a broken nose, but for being late three days in a row."

It's sad to see them at odds. I think they both have really relied on the other through the years, so now things are rocky, it's hard to know what to do.

"I'll try talking to him again," I promise him. "I know he's scared he hurt you and is probably trying to work it all out in his head." Max nods like he agrees with me.

"I won't give up. James is my brother. We already lost our other one. We need each other," he says and I have to stop blinking so the building tears don't push out.

Max chokes out a goodbye before striding out of the house. I turn back to the window to see him with his head in his hands, looking like he has no idea where to go from here. A lost soul. Just like my husband.

"Hey, darling. I'm just clocking in at work. You okay?" James answers when I pick up the phone to call him.

I sigh. "I would like to do something tonight. Just the two of us."