CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

I couldn't be any happier

I couldn't be any happier. James enjoyed his personal training session with Joshua so much he booked in for another next week. They did an introduction before getting out on the weights to work out and chat.

James is on cloud nine.

I actually caught him singing in the shower this morning and even though his muscles feel like they're being torn from his body; it's never made him feel more alive.

Change of plan. James text messages me while I clean up the mess from Sunday pancakes. Max might be coming to dinner tonight with his new friend. You good with that? X

New friend? I reply.

The bubbles appear before his text message comes through. Yeah, she's been caring for his grandma and he thinks she deserves a day off. I don't know. He seems happy at least.

I text back to let him know it's fine by me and get planning the dinner course now we have an extra guest. Max never usually brings anyone along places so that's promising.

It's going to be a Sunday roast with all the trimmings. I pre-ordered some topside beef from the butchers in town and have to pick it up this morning, so I can cook it slowly.

"There's a lady at the door, mummy!" Elsie shouts from the living room.

I put the tablet into the dishwasher and press the hood up. "One minute, Elsie. Don't answer the door."

"I'm not, mummy. I'm just staring at her through the curtain!"

O-Kay then.

On a loud chuckle, I step into the hallway, moving out the way of Elsie who scurries in here to meet me. The door opens to reveal a sobbing Mary who looks as if she's about to collapse.

"Oh, my goodness," I say, opening my arms out to her. "What's happened?"

She hiccups. "I'm sorry—I didn't know where else to go."

"No, it's okay. Come inside. Do you want a drink?" I ask, picking Elsie up.

Mary wipes her face. "No, thank you. I just need to talk to you."

I start walking towards the sitting room, placing Elsie on me knee while Mary takes the arm chair across from me.

"I really didn't know if I should come here. I have been reeling since yesterday," she says, taking a few deep breaths.

Elsie tucks into me, so I kiss her head, leaning down to speak to her. "Hey, how do you feel about drawing a picture for Mary? They always make me feel better."

She's twisting a piece of my hair around her finger. "Who's Mary."

"I am," Mary replies, lifting her hand up to wave at her.