CHAPTER SEVEN

"I think it's time we spoke

"I think it's time we spoke."

I look up from my laptop when James speaks, closing the lid to slide it down the bed and away from me. It's late in the evening and the kids are sleeping.

He's standing in the doorway, clinging onto the doorframe like it's the only thing holding him up. I don't invite him inside, but I don't deny him either.

"Can I come inside?" he says eventually and I just nod.

I fold my arms across my chest. "Did you use protection?"

There, I said it.

The shock on his face doesn't last long before he's staring at the carpet. "I don't know."

My skin inside my mouth stings when I chew on it. "Right, well that's a good start."

"I only remember certain parts of it," he says, heavy eyes falling on my face. "I booked in for an STD check, and I had the snip after Lucas so we don't need to worry about... well... you know."

I frown painfully. "Well, not really because there's always a small chance of conception. The doctor told you this."

He gulps. "The chances are extremely unlikely. Almost one hundred percent."

"But there's still a chance, James! Do you know the girl?"

The fear of him saying yes and bumping into her locally is daunting. I doubt she even knew he had a wife and family. Or maybe she did.

He shrugs and it infuriates me. "How could you be so stupid? Are you lying? Surely you saw her face the next morning."

"I... we," he says, struggling to find the words until he scrunches his fist and just comes out with it. "Everything took place in the toilet cubicle of Raffles."

"Fucking Raffles?" I shout, knowing how dirty and cheap that night club is, and also not able to hide my relief of knowing he didn't go home with someone.

Then a thousand questions hit me all at once. "But how do you know if you don't remember?"

"I remember snippets of the night. And I definitely woke up at Max's place," he responds.

"Max knows," I whisper broken-heartedly.

James flares his nostrils. "No, I don't think he does. Nothing has been mentioned yet and you know how he likes to air everything out."

"Did you go out with the intention of sleeping with someone?" I ask.

"No. I'm absolutely certain of that. Christ, Scarlett, I'm in agony for doing this to you. I can barely look at myself in the mirror. I'm just as confused as you." The emotions in his voice causes it to wobble.

I want to believe him, but it's hard. "All I want is to tell you my world is falling apart and I need you by my side, but I can't. I can't because you've hurt me so deeply it's hard to even look at you."