CHAPTER TWENTY

I'm healthy and I want to scream it to the entire universe

I'm healthy and I want to scream it to the entire universe. Apart from bringing my children into this world, there is no other better feeling than this right here. Last night, I got the best nights sleep I have had in weeks and I'm riding off the feel-good hormones today.

That's why when Mary comes up to my desk, I'm able to smile, because nobody is getting past this shield today. I take the file she dumps on my desk and get to it.

"The staff are going out for drinks tonight to celebrate the weekend. Do you fancy it?" she asks.

I nod. "Maybe, it depends on when James finishes work." Also, he has his first personal training session with Joshua Caswell tomorrow morning so it will be an early night all round.

She props her hip on my desk. "Aw, come on, don't be boring."

I'm walking on sunshine today. She can sod off. "I'm not being boring. It's called having children."

"Nah, Julie has two little ones and she still manages to meet us out," she says, fiddling with the buttons on her wool coat.

Mary has always said the reason she doesn't want children is because they ruin your life, but she couldn't be more wrong. They enrich it more than anything you can imagine.

"Good for her. It's still a maybe from me, so if you can go away? I need to work." Oh, so, I definitely wanted to sound rude, but didn't mean to be so.

She huffs. "Blimey. Say it how it is then."

There isn't many people I dislike, but Mary is one of them. There's been many instances which got her name on the list, namely when she started gossiping about my husband and how he puts up with me.

I find if you ignore her she goes away quicker than if you were to ask, so I do just that and get to processing our clients at The Shake Shack's monthly wage bill. A few members of staff there are due holiday pay which makes things a little slower for me, but at least it makes the day go quicker.

After emailing the wage bill sheet back to the manager, I go ahead and work through the other wage bills too. I don't know if I even have a job title here as everyone passes on the jobs they don't like doing, but it doesn't bother me.

I'm lucky to work for such an understanding company and the two-pounds-fifty wage increase came as a welcomed surprise last week. The kind email from my boss too, who wrote about her happiness to have me be part of their team made me never want to leave.

Jessica, our intern stops by at my desk. "It's so good to see your face again around here. You've been missed, Scarlett."

I hold my hand against my chest. "It's good to be back. How's things with you?"

"Really good. I'm learning so much here. Are you coming for drinks tonight? Last one before the Christmas madness starts," she asks.

"Maybe." I smile and she replies that she hopes I will.