Chapter 35 (Akiko Rei)

~ONE YEAR LATER~

There was a hand on my lower back pushing me gently but swiftly into the limousine as fans screamed around me. I quickly climbed in as Nobuo and the other security guards did their best to keep the crowds from mobbing the limo. "Thank's Nobuo." I called before I shut the door.

This used to surprise me but now even Jun had gotten used to it. She was smiling and waving at the fans outside, who screamed even louder. "I think there's even more than last time." Ryuu said, after barely glancing outside. He was leaning back with his feet on the seat and his hands behind his back.

"Well, this was a much bigger stage than we've done before." I reminded. "Did you do okay, Yuki?" I asked our base player. He nodded and smiled at me.

"I did mess up a little." He admitted.

"We all do. Don't beat yourself up over it." Jun finally turned away from the window as we started to move. I glanced at my phone and saw I had a text from Ittoki. I couldn't stop myself from smiling as I read it.

>Hey, you on your way back yet?<

>Yes.< I replied. There was a moments pause, just long enough to make me nervous, before I got the reply.

>Tell the driver to hurry or we'll be late.<

"Late? Late for what?" I wondered. "Hey, Jun, did we have anything planned with the boys?" I asked. Jun, who had been taking a drink from her water bottle, chocked on it. I rubbed her back as she coughed. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"Fine." She set the bottle aside and eyed me. "Why do you ask that?" She questioned.

"Oh, Ittoki said that if we don't hurry we'll be late so I wondered 'late for what'?" I explained. I got suspicious when they all looked at each other. I crossed my arms. "You all rushed me out of the concert hall pretty quickly. There's something going on." I said.

Jun set her hand on mine. "Yes, but we can't tell you." She said. I looked at her and she smiled. "Trust me, it's not a bad surprise." She assured.

I frowned and texted a reply to Ittoki. >Late for what?< I asked him.

There was another pause. >Will you trust me?< He replied.

>Okay...< I replied and I put my phone in my pocket. I looked out the window as I did and my eyes widened. "Stop. Stop the car!" I shouted. I startled the driver, who slammed on the breaks. Before the car was even stopped all the way I was out the door.

A car nearly hit me as I ran to the other side of the street. I dodged it and kept on going, ignoring the cries behind me. I caught up to the man that had walked by and grabbed him by the arm, turning him to face me. His eyes widened and my mouth came open slightly.

"Ka...Kazuki-niisan..." I said softly.

The man smiled slightly, but nervously. "I'm sorry, but do I know you?" He asked.

I shook my head. My voice suddenly died on me and I couldn't get any words out. I swallowed hard. "Um... what's you name, if you don't mind me asking?" I finally managed to say.

"I go by Akio, but..." He trailed off.

"Akio. But what?" I asked.

"I don't know my real name. Why are you asking me all of this, by the way?" He asked and I finally realized how strange this would look. I quickly let him go.

"Sorry. It's just... you look like my older brother." I said.

"I do?" He asked. I nodded and my eyes started to water. I quickly rubbed them, refusing to cry. "Um... did something happen to him?"

"He died in a car accident six years ago." I said.

"Where?" Akio asked.

"New York." I answered.

"New York? Really?" He asked and I nodded. He ran a hand through his hair, the same thing my brother used to do. "That's really weird."

"What is?" I asked.

"Well... I was in a car accident six years ago in New York. I woke up with amnesia so I have no idea who I was before that." He admitted. I pulled my guitar pick from behind my ear and showed it to him. He took it from me and looked at it. He squinted, like that would help him see it better.

"That was my brother's." I said.

"It does look vaguely familiar, actually." He admitted before giving it back to me. I put it back and swallowed.

"Why did you chose the name Akio?" I asked.

"Well, the only thing I remembered when I woke up was 'Aki'. So the doctors decided to call me Akio, since I'm Japanese." He said. I wasn't sure what to say to that, but I didn't have to say anything.

"Akiko, hey. What happened?" Jun suddenly grabbed my arm and it was then that I remembered that I had jumped out of the car.

"Jun, turn around." I told her. She did and her mouth came open slightly.

"Kazuki?" She asked. He looked between us with wide eyes, like he wasn't quite sure what to make of us.

"Hey, why are you in Japan?" I asked him.

"Oh, I'm a reporter. In training. I'm supposed to be gets shots of local celebrities." He said as he motioned to the camera hanging around his neck.

"I'll give you the scoop of a lifetime if you'd be willing to talk with me some more." I said immediately.

"Really? How?" He asked.

I smiled at Jun then looked back at him. "We're Modern Classic." I told him and his mouth came open.

"Sure, we can talk more." He agreed quickly.

"Great." I grabbed his hand, dragged him over to the limo which was idling in the street, and pushed him in. Jun touched my arm before I got in and I looked at her.

"Akiko, are you sure about this?" She asked. "I know how badly his loss hit you and I don't want to see you go through that again."

I smield at her. "It's okay. I know the chances, but there is always a chance, right?" I asked. Jun hugged me and gave me a squeeze.

"Yes, there's always a chance. Now we really need to hurry or you're going to ruin Ittoki's whole plan." She said.

"His whole plan? What whole plan?" I asked as she pushed me into the limo. She smiled as she shut the door, but refused to say.