Chapter 9 (Akiko Rei)

It was dark outside and the moon was gone so I couldn't see much more than silhouettes. My phone was the only source of light and I glanced at it for the hundredth time, at least it felt that way. My mom's contact took up the screen and my finger had been hovering over the "call" button for the last ten minutes.

I let out a deep breath and moved my thumb away, my head falling to rest on my arms on the balcony. The lights were off in my room behind me and there was no sound from anywhere. "Call her." I ordered myself quietly, but my body wouldn't do it. "You need to call her. She told you to over four hours ago, call her already." I continued, but I still couldn't get up the courage to do it.

I looked at my phone and my finger came close to pushing the button, quivering as it hovered over it as if it were fighting against me, and finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I threw my phone as hard as I could towards the door in my room behind me with a cry of frustration. Just as it left my hand my door opened and my phone smashed into the wall next to Ittoki's head.

"Ah, sorry!" I said quickly, almost before I registered who it was.

"Still throwing things at me? What did I do this time?" Ittoki asked.

"Nothing, sorry." I repeated then let out a sigh. I turned back to the darkness of the world beyond this house and as I did I saw Ittoki bend down to pick up my phone. 

"Looks like you'll be needing a new phone." He said as he handed it to me. My touch screen was now cracked and I sighed.

"Guess that's what I'm asking for my birthday." I muttered.

"Your birthday? When is it? Soon?" Ittoki asked.

"Ah, next Thursday." I replied.

"What? Why didn't you tell me?" He asked frantically. 

"Because it's not that big of a deal." I replied. "The day after is more important." I muttered solemnly. 

"The day after?" Ittoki muttered.

"Hm?" I asked, having not heard him completely clearly.

"Nothing." He shook his head and smiled. "And have you been up here trying to call your mom this whole time?" 

"Yeah." I replied.

"Call her." Ittoki said. "I'm here with you, it'll be fine. Call her." 

Somehow, just that thought made me willing to do it. I pressed call and my phone started to ring. My mom answered shortly after. "It's me." I said.

"Finally, my darling Akiko." My mom said sweetly and I instinctively grew suspicious.

"Is something up?" I asked.

"I saw your music video." She said and I held my breath. "I'm so pleased your finally branching out. You are very good at guitar and it's become a big part of your image now. Be expecting more guitar-based work from now on." 

I couldn't say anything for a minute I was so shocked. "Weren't you the one to say never in a million years would I ever play guitar?" I asked slowly.

"Where did you come up with a silly idea like that?" She replied brightly. "Oh, I'm sending you your first band member." She added.

"You're what?" I stammeringly asked. 

"Sending you a band member. A drummer." She added.

"My first and only band member is Jun." I replied.

"Jun?" My mom questioned.

"Jun Megumi." I replied a little annoyed that she'd forgotten her. 

"Oh, yes, of course, of course. Then he'll just be joining your band. What's it called again?" She asked.

"No." I replied without saying anything.

"You haven't even heard his name." 

"Don't need to." 

"Come on, Akiko, be a little more polite." She scolded lightly.

"I don't need a drummer." I emphasized my words to make sure he understood. Ittoki tilted his head questioningly, but didn't say anything. 

"Oh, pish-posh. You know him, it'll be fine." She said.

I took a breath. "Fine. I'll hear his name." I muttered through gritted teeth.

"Ryuu Takeshi." She said. My phone slid from my hand and I ceased breathing. Ittoki fumblingly snagged my phone and held it out to me, but my body wouldn't do so much as blink. Ittoki then held it up to his own ear.

"Hello, Mrs. Rei." He said politely. He blinked in surprise at whatever my mother had spat back at him. "Yes of course, I apologize." He moved a step away from me as I finally was able to take a shaking breath. "I'm Ittoki Otoya." He continued. "No, she's frozen in place at the moment..." He said, casting me a glance.

"Give it to me." I ordered as rage filled me entirely before Ittoki said anything more. Ittoki handed my phone over immediately and I held it out in front of me. "Tell him to go to hell and feel free to go with!" I shouted into it, and I knew she heard me, before I threw it as hard as I possibly could. I took several breaths before my moment of rage died down and I let out a breath.

"Tell who that, other than your mother?" Ittoki asked carefully. 

"Only the most insolent, self-centered, and cruel creature of darkness to ever see the light of day." I replied with a sadistic smile on my face. 

"And his name is....?" Ittoki asked. He was obviously being wary of me and I didn't blame him. 

"Ryuu Takeshi." I managed to ground out. His name tasted vile in my mouth.

"Ryuu Takeshi? I've never heard of him." Ittoki said.

"Be grateful." I replied sharply. 

"And why does he deserve to go to..." Ittoki paused so I finished it for him.

"Hell? Because that... thing... is the reason I lost my brother." I finished.

"I thought it was your parents fault?" Ittoki asked.

"It was both." I replied and he nodded once like he didn't quite understand. 

"And he's coming here?" 

I sighed. "Unfortunately." I replied. 

"When?" Ittoki asked.

I paused. "I don't know..." I admitted. I then realized that I had chucked my phone into the woods and would probably never find it again. "I went a little crazy, didn't I?"

Ittoki nodded. "You scared me a little bit." 

"Sorry, it happens sometimes. Jun used to call it my dark side. It hasn't come out in a while." I explained.

"Any way I can make it better?" Ittoki asked.

"Not really." I replied. I sighed again and undid my braids, letting my hair fall down around my shoulders. "I won't be going to bed any time soon, so you'd better go to sleep." I informed him.

Ittoki smiled and shook his head. "I have a better idea." He took my hand and pulled me inside to the bed. "Lay down." He ordered and I did as he asked. "Close your eyes." He said. I followed his directions once more. 

Ittoki started to sing, a soft lullaby that sounded vaguely familiar for some reason. I started to get sleepy and was about to fall asleep when Ittoki finished. I felt him gently brush a strand of my hair off my face and felt the bed shift. Ittoki kissed my forehead. "I won't let him anywhere near you." I heard him say softly just before I fell asleep.