Chapter Twenty

Skipper
As much as I feel bad, I keep listening to Gale. I am a tad concerned that how Kowalski has gone from quiet to near silent, only answering direct questions most of the time. I'm also wondering how to get him better in training. He is still, by far, the least apt of fighting out of all of us and throughout the time I've known him there has been little to no improvement. I sigh, rubbing the crease between my eyes.
"Something wrong, Skipper?" Gale asks, sitting by me.
"I'm just thinking about how to make training more effective," I say. "Especially for Kowalski. He isn't getting any better."
"I've said it before, you should stop going so easy on him," he says to me. "If you went full out on him he would definitely try harder." The idea of hurting Kowalski is a less than ideal one and I frown slightly at the thought. "If you said harsher things it would definitely motivate him. Like pointing out he can be a tad useless at this kind of thing."
"It would also hurt him," I say, quietly.

Gale seems to consider that a moment.
"Wouldn't he get more hurt if you don't do anything about it?" he asks me.
"Well yes," I admit, rubbing the back of my head awkwardly. "But is it really necessary to be so callous?"
"With someone like Kowalski, it can be very effective," he says with a shrug. "Isn't it at least worth a shot?"
"Well, maybe?" I say but I am still doubting it. "Are you sure this won't just destroy our friendship?"
"Of course not, once he's better you can explain everything!" he says, cheerfully. I guess he has a point.
"Thanks, Gale," I say. "I'll consider it."

We head up to training together. Kowalski is already there, leaning slightly against the wall, not looking up as we come in.
"Ready for training, Kowalski?" I try. He glances up finally and nods. Okay, now is just giving non verbal responses. "What in particular do you want to focus on?" A shrug. He does seem to have an indifference to getting better. Maybe Gale has a point and being harsher is the best option. Maybe it would motivate him? I feel the lump rising in my throat and a harsh weight settling on my shoulders. I can't believe I'm about to do this but if it prevents him from getting hurt on missions – or worse killed – then I have to at least try.

Rico and Private come in.
"Alright, we're doing practice fighting today," I say, glancing at Kowalski from the corner of my eye. He already seems deflated enough, am I really going to make him feel worse? Yes. I sigh, may as well get this over with. "Kowalski, you vs. me first."
"Okay," he says, shoulders sinking slightly as he stops leaning against the wall and slowly heads to the training mats where I wait.
"Sometime today, Kowalski," I snap, trying to ignore the slight flinch my harsh tone causes. Once he's opposite me I begin, following Gale's advice to go full-out.

He does manage to block a few attacks but most of them land on him quite effectively. When he tries to strike, much too slowly, I catch his wrist and twist it so he stumbles then kick his legs out from beneath him. He visibly winces as he falls to the ground but I keep the twist on his wrist to make sure he can't effectively get back up.
"Kowalski, are you ever going to actually start trying?" I ask after three rounds. His eyes lock on mine and I can see a hint of pain in them. I try my best to ignore it.
"I am trying!" he protests, adjusting his glasses that I knocked off during the fight.
"Yeah right," I say, crossing my arms. "If you were you wouldn't be so bloody useless!"

I'm fully aware that Rico and Private are no watching this and I try my best to ignore them.
"Really, why do you think that not trying is going to benefit anyone?!" I snap. "If anything you will only carry on being a hindrance to everyone!"" Using a word Kowalski taught me the meaning of against him feels wrong but I keep on pushing it. "You're entirely useless! You always have been, both at fighting and especially training! Why they put someone as useless as you in the group, I don't know." I can't keep on but the harsh, cruel, words seem to have done their job. His eyes are no longer meeting mine and his shoulders are slumped determinedly. "Is that clear, Kowalski?" A nod. "I said, is that clear?!"
"Yes Skipper," he replies. His voice is extremely quiet and I am pretty sure I can detect a slight tremor in his voice. "Good. Rico, you vs. Gale next."

Training remains with a repeat with that when it is Kowalski vs. the others. It is insanely hard to do: Kowalski is the last person I want to hurt and I am doing a pretty effective job at cruelty.
"Kowalski, it's your turn to cook right?" I ask.
"Yes, I'll go make a start on breakfast," he says, flatly. He walks off, followed by Rico and Private. "Gale, did I do the right thing?"
"Of course you did," he replies. "It may just take a while to be clear." I sigh. I don't want it to be a while, I want everything to be fine! But it won't be.

Kowalski
I crack the eggs into the pan, trying to concentrate on breathing in and out. Useless. Hindrance. It isn't like he's wrong but that coming from Skipper? It hurts. My eyesight blurs and I wipe the tears away. Useless, I should be used to this by now. First inventing and now this. Why am I foolish enough to believe anyone wouldn't find me useless? Maybe I just thought he would be nicer about it? I'm doing my best. Isn't that obvious? I sigh and add the rest of the ingredients, putting some bread in the toast. It'll just be scrambled eggs on toast. I don't think I can focus on anything more complicated. Besides, I'm too useless for much else.

"Kowalski, are you okay?" Private asks me. I nod. "Are you sure?"
"Never better," I reply, flatly. "Just making eggs."
"If you say so," he replies, doubtfully and leaves the room. I hear someone else enter the room, close the door behind them, and feel someone grab my wrist. Gale.
"Hey Useless," he greets." Mind if I call you that? Skipper seems to think it is an apt description."
"Leave me alone, I'm trying to cook," I say, trying to pull my arm free.
"I told you not to tell me what to do," he snaps, yanking me closer to the stove. Before I process what is going to he pulls the saucepan to the side and presses my arm down against the hot hob. Before I can yelp his spare hand clamps over my mouth, muffling it. "I think you need to remember to follow simple instructions." He presses down harder and I surpass the urge to cry out at the vastly increasing pain.
"Kowalski, is breakfast nearly ready?" Skipper calls. Gale releases my wrist and moves his hand away, shooting me a warning look.
"Yes, just a few moments," I reply. To my relief Gale leaves and I quickly run my wrist under the cold tap as I finish making the food.

I can't for long though, that would delay breakfast and Skipper already seems to think that I am useless enough. I bring the food through, undoing the fold in my sleeves so I can hide the burn more.
"Kowalski, I think you should start doing extra training in your free time," Skipper says. "It would certainly stop you being so useless at it..."
"Fine," I agree. I may hate training and I certainly don't want to fill my days with it but if I train a lot will everyone stop being so harsh? Will I stop being useless? The thought is at least worth a shot, even if it makes me vastly miserable. I just want things to be okay again.

Once I have cleaned the dishes I head to the training room. The bruises littering me from training still throb and the burn is still tender but I ignore it as I make a start on training. I need to be better. I need to be not useless. Maybe then things will be better. Maybe then my friendships will go back to normal and I'll be a useful addition to the group. The practice move sends me tumbling to the ground, the burn scraping against the ground. I yelp, going to the medical kit and getting out some antiseptic. I should have done this first but I have more important concerns than possible infection. I need to do this. It isn't like I have anything else to do anyway. I'm not allowed to invent. I'm rapidly losing all my friendships. There is nothing.