Chapter Thirteen

Skipper
The blaring ringtone wakes me up far earlier than I want to be up or anyone would want to. I look at my clock blearily. 4am. Whoever is calling me this early better have a good reason because I need my sleep. Plus I don't want to be interacting with people at 4am, too much effort is required. I grab my phone before it stops ringing and press the green button.
"What?" I ask, trying to not sound irritated but given they woke me up that is easier said than done.
"You asked us to contact you if we found information on Blowhole or any of the people who work for him were transferring bases and we think they will be at the half an hour from your location in a short time," the familiar voice of one of the people who currently lead the division I sometimes report too says. That wakes me up properly and I sit up straight, paying attention.
"How short?" I ask, grabbing my clothes from the drawer so as soon as I am off the call I can get ready and go.
"Two hours by the look of it," he replies. "But I figured you would want time to set up and hide." I nod then realising he can't see me thank him and hang up.

I get everyone up and fill them in.
"Kowalski, Gale stay here," I instruct. Seeing that they are both getting ready to argue I raise a hand to convince them to stop and carry on. "Kowalski, we need someone keeping an eye on security cameras, and sabotage." Kowalski nods. "Gale...you haven't been here long so wait until you have some more training."
"Fine," Gale agrees but I can hear the reluctance in his voice.
"Hey, that means you don't have to go out this early or even get out of your pyjamas," I point out, trying to cheer him up. "Heck if you want, go back to bed, it is too early to be up really. Just thought I'd fill you in. Kowalski, did you fix the ear pieces?"
"Yep, they're in the lab," he replies. "I'll go get them." He heads off.
"Ear pieces?" Gale asks me.
"So Kowalski can let us know if something goes wrong or if they are approaching from somewhere we can't see," I explain.

He comes back in with the devices, one for all four of us. He hasn't made one for Gale yet so he'll probably feel left out of the mission but it can't be helped. He hasn't been here long enough to really contribute much to a mission anyway which is harsh but...well we don't want to make it harder.
"We'll head off, Kowalski let us know when you have access to the cameras," I instruct.
"Will do," he says with a nod. "Maybe take one to hide in case of blind spots?"
"Good idea," I agree, grabbing one from the drawer. "See you later, hopefully once we have caught them." And hopefully after I have beaten the idiot who bullied Kowalski into the dirt...

Rico, Private and I head off with a lot of coffee because again I got up at 4am. I yawn as we go along the barely lit roads, the car giving the only light at times.
"Are we gonna park a bit away to avoid being noticed?" Rico asks with a yawn, making me yawn too.
"Probably a good idea," I agree as we pull into a side street about a ten minute walk away and grab the supplies. "Let's go."

We get into the dock, the place cold and damp as we set up the camera where Kowalski informs us in the earpiece the blind spot is. Then it is a waiting game. The cool air wakes me up quite quickly but the less than nice element of this makes the wait drag on even longer than it is. I press the button so Kowalski can hear what I'm saying on the earpiece.
"Kowalski, any movement yet?"
"Not yet," he replies. "No movement in the area except for some cleaners leaving the corner shop." I sigh. This is definitely going to be a long wait.

Ages passes and I finally get an alert that someone is approaching from Kowalski. Apparently they're approaching the main courtyard, alone. That's weird. Very weird. If it is a group moving location then why would they be alone? It is still worth catching them though so we can find out what the heck is going on though.

We end up cornering him easily enough – too easily I think- and I manage to get him trapped against a wall.
"Where is everyone else?!" I demand, clicking my knuckles. He just smirks, entirely unbothered. "Where?!"
"I'm not telling," he says, voice mocking. Kowalski's voice suddenly cuts into the earpieces, making me jump.
"Guys, you might want to get out of there. Fast," he warns. "Your tyres just got sliced so they know where you are. You've lost the element of surprise and if someone went alone it was probably a distraction. That means an ambush."
"I think it's worth a shot..." I mumble.
"And if it isn't?" he retorts. Sharp static cuts in, making me wince. "Sorry, someone is trying to scramble the connection. That is even more reason to get out of there!"
"We're going to try," I say. "We're already here now. Let us know when they're here." I hear the slight sigh but try to ignore the fact he may be right.

"Kowalski is right, Skipper," Private says. "If we get ambush-"
"Cars are approaching from each entrance," the earpiece cuts in. "Definitely an ambush." Oh great. I should have listened...It is lucky we have him being a tech genius so we had at least some warning. "Skipper, with how many there are you don't have a chance. There are no ships approaching yet so maybe take the water? I mean if you all get captured..."
"Okay, you were right," I mutter. I look at the dingy water and screw up my nose. Great, time to escape...

Kowalski
Once Skipper finally decides to listen I take a breath of relief and lean back in my chair. It probably is good that I stayed here in hindsight or getting Skipper to be logical wouldn't have worked. The lab door opens and I glance up to see Gale.
"Things go okay for them?" he asks me.
"They had to retreat," I say with a shrug. "Turned out to be an ambush."
"Oh. How long will they be?" he asks me.
"A while probably," I say, putting the earpiece away. "Their tyres got sliced so it will slow things down significantly."
"Good," the sinister note in his voice makes me look up, confused, just in time to see a punch swing into my side, knocking me to the floor.

"I...what?" I ask, coughing. I try to get up but the sharp kick to my side stops me.
"Shut up," he snaps, kicking me again harder in the same spot. He keeps kicking me, making my ribs ache and making it increasingly hard to breathe. He grabs me to the back of my hair, pulling my head back, making me yelp in pain. "I said shut up. You talk too much." His grip tightens, giving me major Emmett vibes. If I don't shut up he will keep amplifying the pain until I shut up. "Better. Now, remember to not say anything to Skipper."
"No," I snap. As if I wouldn't tell that he suddenly attacked me.
"No?" he repeats and smirks again, shoving me hard against the wall hard enough there is a slight crack sound. He twists my wrist painfully and keeps turning it until I feel like he could shatter the bone at any second. "You're meant to be smart, even if you are this pathetic. I tied with Skipper when I wasn't fighting full effort. Do you want him to get hurt because of you."
"No..." I say, shoulders sinking. He has a point; he did seem to be holding back slightly in the training.
"Exactly. So, for once, keep your mouth shut," he orders. I pause, and then nod.

"But what did I do?" I ask, the sharp pain in my side still extremely distracting. He punches me, again sticking to the side and I assume it is to avoid obvious bruises.
"You mess everything up for them. You got knocked out. Your weak..." he lists. "I mean even Skipper hated you to begin with. Do you really think he cares rather than him just feeling sorry for you given how pathetic you are?" Well most of those statements are true but the one about Skipper is bullshit. Of course he cares. "Heck I got captured because I went to get extra supplies for your room!" I try to apologise or make him see logic or anything but another punch slams into my side. He finally walks off, leaving me confused and wondering why this always has to happen to me.