Chapter Four

Kowalski
I stir around my cup of tea, watching the sun slowly peek over the edge as the day begins. The sky is going from the black blue or night to a lighter hue, wisps of clouds streaking across it. I am sat balanced on the window sill, tea on my knee. I have to shift periodically to keep my balance given it is fairly narrow and it is far from comfy but it has the best place to watch the sunrise and it reminds me of the windowsill seat I used to have. It also has some cool air blowing onto my shoulders, keeping me awake. Maybe I should still be asleep at 5am but my thoughts were full of discord and my usual ineptitude. The sunrise is calming, not as much as the sunset but enough to distract me somewhat. I am tempted to ask Skipper if I can install a windowsill seat in here but I feel bad asking for anything, especially something somewhat pointless. What if he judged it? What if that lead to him judging me and thinking I was stupid? What if- I force myself to not dwell too much on that and decide not to ask. It isn't worth the stress.

I take a sip of my tea then cough, nose scrunching up instinctively. Stone cold. Sighing I place it down on the coffee table and wrap my arms around my legs, the sky definitely lightening by now. The living room door opens and Skipper comes in. Must be approximately 6am then so an hour until training. Great.
"Up already?" he asks. I nod. "Why are you sat there?" I shrink in on myself slightly, the bitter reminder of judgment sinking in.
"Watching the sunrise," I reply, standing up and crossing over to the sofa. "Are we back to training today?"
"Yep," he replies, Really I should have guessed given he isn't wearing his usual smart clothes but is wearing his training ones. Black knee length shorts, a light blue tank top and trainers. I am also wearing my training clothes just in case there was training – black legging like things but sligthly thicker (I don't know what they're actually called, I know nothing about fashion), a long sleeved top and a grey hoodie with holes for my thumbs. "Not watching the sunrise anymore?"
"It has mostly risen now," I reply. No chance of me admitting the feeling of judgment put me off.

The look he shoots me makes me concerned, it is full of scrutiny.
"You know I wasn't judging, right?" he asks, making my gaze instantly snap to the ground. I often forget how good Skipper is at reading me when it comes to things like this. "I meant it couldn't be comfy. Besides who cares what I think?" I glance up at him from behind my hair, fiddling with the ends. He sighs and sits by me, moving my hands from my fringe so I can't hide as easily. "Sorry I made you feel like I was." Now I feel bad...
"Sorry I made it so obvious," I murmur.
"No, don't apologise for that," Skipper instructs. "You don't need to hide your feelings, if anything you opening up is great!"
"Really?" I ask, doubtfully. Emotions being hidden are safer. Less uncontrollable.
"Of course!" he says, cheerfully. "Especially when someone is as intoverted as you." Okay, he has a point there... "Try to open up more? I do worry about you being so quiet."
"I'll try," I agree. He shoots me a grin and heads into the kitchen to make coffee, taking my cup with him.

He comes back in with a fresh tea for me and a coffee for him. I fiddle with the sleeves then deicide since he is in a good mood I can ask. It is something we could all use so it isn't selfish. Right? I hope not...
"Um...Skipper?" I begin, getting his attention from the newspaper. "Could I install one of those windowsill seats?" He tilts his head, considering it.
"Can they be the ones you lift for storage space?" he asks and I nod. "Well it does sound practical plus you wouldn't be balancing somewhere that meant if you fell asleep you wouldn't fall. Yeah, go ahead!" I smile, instantly considering measurements, supplies and methods.

                                    ----------------------------------------------

As usual, once training is done, I am back to the feeling of inadequacy. When it comes to training I am by far the weakest in the group. I have little to no physical strength so I never win practice fights and I am lousy and anything to do with weights or the punchbag. Only thing I can do well is speed, I am the fastest out of us but that is a useless skill. When am I going to outrun enemies in a useful way? Never. We are all eating breakfast, or in my case more stirring it around, the cereal clumping together ruining my appetite which barely existed to begin with.
"So what time is Gale coming?" I ask.
"In about an hour," Skipper replies. "Think we'll need to stay or will we be able to go out and have fun?"
"We should be fine to go if we put our valuables somewhere," Rico replies. "Why don't we all go to the cinema or something?"

I tune them out talking about what film to see, forcing myself to eat some of the cereal but push it around to make it look like I have ate more than I have. I have never been a breakfast person, too early to eat...Plus I still feel a slight sinking still from how awfully the training went.
"Kowalski? Like the idea of that film?" Skipper asks, getting my attention. Shoot, now I have no idea what he is talking about.
"I'll just stay here," I reply, putting the spoon down. "Means I can make a start on the window seat. Maybe work on some of the inventions as well if I have time..."
"I'll stay as well," Skipper says. "It would be a good idea to have someone talk to Gale if he has any questions. "You two have fun."
"You sure?" Private asks and Skipper nods.
"Here is some money for it: get me one of the Ice Blasts on your way out?" Skipper says, passing Rico the money.

They leave and I get some supplies, heading to the bigger side window in the living room. There is a knock on the door and after a minute Skipper comes in with Gale.
"So where do you want me to start?" he asks as I sort through the tools, putting the ones I need early on in a neat pile.
"Private's room probably would be a good idea," Skipper replies. "He's the one who wants the rainbow one. Shall I show you to his room?"
"Sure," Gale replies and the two head past. As Gale goes past there is a sudden painful pressure on my hand. I yelp slightly as Gale lifts his foot and I retract my hand, rubbing the already forming bruise. "Oh shit, I am so sorry!"
"It's fine," I murmur, trying to ignore the throbbing,. "Could happen to anyone." Skipper shoots me a concerned look but thankfully leaves because I am not good with concern. Especially as I am not sure if I am worth it. Then again he will probably be back in a minute...In a way though I am not complaining because I do like being around Skipper. Maybe I should find a synonym for 'like' because it is something much more potent when it comes to this.

He comes in and sits by me, expression still concerned.
"Let me see how bad it is," he instructs and reluctantly I let him. He runs his thumb gently over the quickly darkening bruise. It's warm against it and is gentle enough not to hurt but it feels weird. Not sure if it good weird or bad weird though and I don't move my hand away because...not sure why really.
"Should I grab some ice?" Skipper offers, moving his hand away, leaving an almost sadness. Not to that degree but still.
"It's fine," I say with a small smile. "It isn't that bad."
"If it is already that purple, yes it is," he says. "I am getting some ice."
"Why ask if you were going to get it anyway?" I murmur then mentally slap myself. Could I have phrased that any worse? He chuckles, relieving me somewhat as he clearly isn't annoyed.
"I thought you would go with the sensible answer, Kowalski," he says wryly. "You are the resident genius after all."

I feel a warmth in my cheeks and hope I am not blushing. That would be embarrassing. Maybe I disagree with him because genius is a stretch but it is a compliment (and one from Skipper for that matter) so it is just...ack. I shift my fringe so it is falling in my face, hoping it hides the possible blush. Knowing how observant and great Skipper is though, unlikely.