Chapter Six

Kowalski
A cup of tea is balanced on my lap as I read the uninteresting book but one that is at least giving me a new perceptive on the subject which makes even the mundane be of at least some interest. Not much though. A small snore gets my attention and I glance up, seeing Skipper has fallen asleep on the sofa despite the cool temperature. I suppose now is the time to stop reading then: I don't want the lamp to wake him up or make him have a less good quality of sleep. He already has to deal with the misfortune of having me around; he hardly needs to have a bad night's sleep as well. I close my book and place it on the desk, heading out of the living room. Then I hesitate. It is a cold night and it is only going to get colder. I'd feel bad just leaving him to freeze. I consider and instead of heading straight to my room, I go via his room and pick up the duvet. It's lucky it is Skipper not one of the others (Rico' bombsite of a room is hard to navigate and things are never where they should be in Private's room). Then again I probably wouldn't notice if it was anyone except Skipper.

I head back into the living room where Skipper is still quietly snoring. As gently as I can, without waking him up, I place the duvet over him. He murmurs slightly and I quickly retract my hand, hoping I haven't messed up and woke him up. He turns over and I let out a slight sigh of relief and head out of the living room, switching the light off behind me.

I go to my room, changing into my oversized Star Wars pyjamas. They are fleeced on the inside which is good for this cool temperature. I roll up the sleeves so they are still covering my hands but not dragging as excessively. I fluff up the pillows and plug my phone in so it doesn't die overnight and put on one of those sleep talks. I sometimes struggle with getting to sleep and this might not magically make things better but it certainly helps at least a little. I curl up beneath the duvet and close my eyes, focusing on the words rather than my rampant thoughts.

                           ----------------------------------------

When I wake up it is early. I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to fall back asleep but am far too alert. The particles of dust that are only visible in light dance above me in the light rays of early sunset and outside there is the too loud garbage removal. I huff and pick up my phone, glancing at the time. An hour until my alarm goes off and two until training. Hmm. I consider and swing my legs out of bed, pushing my glasses up my face and head into the kitchen. An hour is ample time to make everyone their favourite breakfast.

I sort the ingredients into the trisections. Kippers, butter, herbs, mushrooms and bread for Skipper's. White chocolate, food colouring, flour, milk, eggs, baking powder, sugar, more butter and milk for Private. Everything (or a lot of) fry-up things for Rico. I begin with making the multiple coloured batters for Private's rainbow chocolate chip pancakes, getting some of the colorant on the tips of my fingers. Well that is going to be hard to get out... Then I focus because each dish has several components and I am making three different dishes. It is a lot of work but I always enjoy cooking.

A while passes and the kitchen is getting hot with everything cooking but the kitchen smells good. Tad weird with the variety of things but good. The kitchen door opens and a tired looking Rico comes in.
"Morning," I greet, flipping the bacon and adding some more of the mixed seasoning.
"Morning," he replies. "You're cooking?" Well obviously.
"Mhm," I confirm. "I woke up early so thought I might as well." Private comes in and the two hover as I carry on cooking, making light conversation.

Shortly after Skipper comes in, still in his pyjamas as well.
"Food smells good," he comments. I don't reply as I am extremely occupied. I add the eggs to the heat and add the mushrooms. I add some more of the pancake batter to the pan after removing the red ones in there and I give the kippers a quick stir. "For goodness sake, why are you two letting him do everything? He's not a slave!"
"How can I help, Kowalski?" Rico quickly asks.
"It is fine, I have it all organised to the minute," I reply. Time to add the chocolate chips to this lot of batter quickly...
"At least set the table for him," Skipper instructs. Rico nods, grabbing the cutlery and Private makes drinks. I serve the food and pour my muesli and bring it out.

I look up from my food and am met by three disproving looks.
"What?" I ask. Is the food bad?
"You make us all something really nice but you have rabbit food?" Private asks.
"I like muesli: it is healthy," I protest. Then the first part of the statement sinks in. "Wait, the cooking is nice?"
"Of course it is Kowalski," Skipper interjects. "I love kippers and these are some of the best ones I have ever had." I don't believe him. "Trust me, Kowalski, this is perfect!" Rico nods in agreement and I really want to hide from good embarrassment but instead quietly thank them and go back to picking at my food.

After eating Skipper loads the dishwasher and then we head into the training room to do the obvious. Ugh.
"Today we won't be practicing fighting," Skipper informs us. Oh phew. That always ends in me failing and having a new collection of bruises. "Instead we will just be running laps." Dull but the only thing I do better than the rest of them when it comes to exercise so no complaints from me. Rico and Private both look enthusiastic but for once training isn't going to be the complete low point of my day. Just a semi low point!

By the end of training I, for once, am not sore and out of breath unlike Private who is bright pink and panting or Rico who looks drained of energy. Skipper seems fine but it's Skipper who loves exercise and is the best at pretty much everything so no surprise there.

The knock on the door gets my attention and since the others are still changing from training I go to answer it. Gale is standing there.
"Hi, I'm here to carry on with the rooms," he says. I nod and show him to the room he said he would work on next which is Skipper's as said tenant comes out for his regular coffee.
"It is nice to see you again," Skipper says and I use them talking about how Skipper wants his room to slip away. I am not good with new people. Or, it seems, with people in general.

Skipper comes in so I assume the painting has begun.
"Hi," I say, flipping through the channels and stopping on a science documentary.
"Don't you know all this by now?" Skipper asks, sitting on the sofa I'm on next to me. "I mean yeah you like this kinda thing but you are a total genius!"
"Not a genius," I murmur. "But yeah, I know a lot of this. It is still interesting though. I can put something else on if you want?" "No this is fine," Skipper says. I consider changing it anyway but he takes the remote off me and places it on the desk. "No changing it. I know you want to watch it."
"But-" I argue but he shushes me. If he wasn't him then that would be annoying. Oh well.

                                        --------------------------------------------

Eventually Gale leaves and there is a slight hint of the smell of wet paint. Today he painted both Skipper and Rico's rooms, both of which look pretty cool. Especially Skipper's but I will always be partial to that particular shade of blue. It really brings ou- Nope! I shove that particular thought to the back of my head with a huff. Do not think things like that or I am going to end up saying it and there would I be? It is another cooler night and I am shivering but I don't want to go because I will lose my comfy sitting spot and concentration with my book.

I am distracted by the feeling of something warm be wrapped around my shoulders and notice Skipper has put his jacket over me.
"You looked cold," he says which is probably an answer to my questioning expression.
"Thanks, Skipper," I say with a smile. He returns it and sits by me, glancing over my shoulder at the book every now and then but every time I glance up or turn the page his eyes meet mine.