Chapter Eleven

Skipper
Whenever I think back on how things were when I first met Kowalski, or more so how I acted, I feel a sharp pang of guilt. The fact that I now have to explain it...ugh. I figure it is better than Kowalski explaining though because he can get pretty socially awkward and knowing him things will be positively skewed to me rather than honest. I sigh.
"Okay...so how Kowalski joined the group," I begin, reluctantly, really understanding at this moment Kowalski's desire to escape from conversations because I do not want to be having this one.

I think the issues stemmed from the fact that I chose to have Private and Rico in the group. With Kowalski it wasn't my decision which instantly soured me to the newest addition to the team. Essentially an organisation thought that we needed some brains in our group and Kowalski was known to be an amazing inventor and tech genius. It wasn't like he had a say in it either, at least not much, but I immediately started protesting. I ignored the fact that Kowalski was right there – or honestly I didn't really care because if he heard enough maybe he would leave- and was insistent that we didn't need any additions to the group. The argument was lost and I was supposed to just accept that there was a new person in the group.

I, from the start, was exceedingly cold to Kowalski. I wasn't fair and I suppose deep down I knew that but my anger was getting in the way. It wasn't exactly Kowalski I was mad at but he was the only person I could take it out on. I would mostly ignore him during social times. I would snap at him when he invented because it was too loud and during training... Most of the time I ended up yelling at him for 'not trying' or being so weak that all of us would be hindered on missions. I was a total jerk, even Rico and Private tried to convince me of that, but I was even more stubborn then. It didn't help that Kowalski didn't seem to care. I was too blind to realise he was just exceedingly apt at hiding his feelings.

A few months passed like this when I finally noticed Kowalski had gone from quiet to nearly silent unless someone addressed him first. He only invented when I was busy and it was becoming very obvious that I was messing up big time. Everything came to a head on a mission against a foe. I don't even remember his name; he was just another generic bad guy with some cliché plan to get power at the expense of others. We had ruined his plan (admittedly mostly Kowalski) and were escaping when there was a sudden bang. The familiar sound of a gunshot. Someone pushed me out of the way and I nearly fell but at least I didn't have a bullet though me. I glanced back to see who had pushed me out of the way and felt worry sink into me. It wasn't close to being a lethal shot but a bullet though the joint at the other side of the elbow could not be good.

Kowalski was paler, which was understandable, and had already lost what looked like a lot of blood. I turned on the idiot who thought it was okay to be cowardly enough to shoot someone when their back was turned and knocked him out a little harder than necessary. We got back to the car and I got Rico to drive so I could check the wound. Okay, I knew it wouldn't be much use but it was my fault.
"Are you okay?!" I had asked. Stupid question given he had just been shot but still.
"Yes," he said. I gave him a disbelieving look. "It looks worse than it i-" The car went over a bolt and he winced as it jolted the arm. "It's fine...I know how to remove a bullet."
"Why did you even take the bullet for me?" I asked. "I have been a jerk to you!"
"Honestly, I'm used to it," he replied with a small shrug that made me feel even worse. "I am really good at making people not like me. And where the bullet would have hit you would have died."
"You still instinctively took a bullet for me," I pointed out, crossing my arms. "I mean thanks though. It's good I'm not dead..." The first part of his statement finally set in. "And it isn't that I don't like you. I was taking out how angry I was having people dictate my team for me. I shouldn't have done that...especially as they were right. You are a total genius!"
"I wouldn't say genius..." Kowalski said, sheepishly.
"I would!"

I give a less in depth version of events to Gale.
"And now Kowalski is one of my best friends," I finish (actually is my best friend but I won't say that in front of the other two). "Oh and obviously he sorted out the whole bullet sort of thing. It took a while for things to be good but yeah..."
"I did gather he sorted out the bullet," Gale says with a note of amusement. "It wouldn't be good if he hadn't."
"Fair point," I agree. "But yeah...that's about it. I was an idiot. Kowalski was too nice for his own good. Not much has changed." I see Kowalski open his mouth to argue and give him a withering look. "No. You are too nice for your own good Kowalski."
"Mhm..." he says with an eye roll. I sigh, elbowing him gently. Self. Esteem.

"Things would have been so much easier if Kowalski had just told Skipper that it was getting to him," Rico comments. "I mean Skipper eventually figured it out and he was being a jerk but he isn't horrible. He isn't the type to maliciously be mean."
"Yeah but Kowalski never says when something is bothering him," Private points out. I give them both a look. No being harsh about someone's social aptitude when they are right there, especially when it is someone who won't tell you to shut up. Thankfully they get the hint and stop.
"Kowalski, want to cook or shall I order takeaway?" I ask.
"I'll cook," he says with a small smile, getting up and heading to the kitchen.

A while passes and a really good smell starts wafting from the kitchen to the living room. My stomach gurgles as the smell instantly makes me hungry. I don't even know what it is he is making but I am very temped to nick some from the pan whilst it is cooking. I head to the kitchen and peek in, looking at the multiple pans. He is washing up what he had already used and I roll my eyes. If he's cooking one of us clean it up. I am pretty sure I have told him before but still.
"I'll do that, you focus on the cooking," I say.
"You sure?" he asks and I nod, taking the sloth from him. I take over the washing and he goes back to the many pans.
"What are you making?" I ask.
"Chicken ramen with tea stained egg and gyoza," he replies. Well that is why it smells so good...
"Will it be ready soon?" I ask. He nods and I grin. Yes! "I'll get drinks to go with it. Tea for you?"
"Yes please," he says. "Can never have enough tea."
"Eh...coffee is better," I counter.
"There are more varieties of tea. So it is better," he replies. "Plus it is more calming and has better health benefits."
"Coffee is more energising and better for long days," I reply, crossing my arms. But grin. Arguing about caffeinated drinks. Only with Kowalski could that be fun.

He serves the food and I help bring it out.
"Guys! Food!" I call, chucking when Rico and Private pretty much bolt in, rushing to the table so fast they nearly knock their chairs over. I get it, Kowalski's cooking is the best but don't go breaking the new furniture. I like the new furniture. It is comfy.

We get on with the food, Kowalski actually having a portion our size for once.
"Okay since there are now a lot of us I think we should have a chore rota," I say. "So I'll make one, everyone do your chores so Kowalski doesn't end up doing everything because knowing him he will. Plus with so many of us the place will get pretty messy pretty fast. Especially as only one of us is tidy unless you are Gale?" Gale shakes his head with a rueful expression.

Once we're done I take the dishes out before Kowalski can, getting him another cup of tea as well when I notice he has his nose buried in a book again. He will probably be up all night reading given Gale is currently painting his room so he won't get much sleep tonight.
"Do you want my room?" I offer. "I think you are too tall to fit the sofa."
"I'm good," he says, glancing up from the book. "Besides. I tend to curl up so it would probably work better for me." I glance at the huge book and sigh.
"Fine. But at least get some sleep," I instruct. He nods with a small smile.