Chapter Eighteen

Skipper
For the last three weeks Kowalski's inventions have gone explosively wrong. Even more so than usual. A mean way of even thinking about it but multiple times thick, horrible fumes have blasted from his inventions, filling the lab and eventually the entire floor with a putrid stench. I have tried talking to him about it multiple times and he has said he'll 'work on it' but to no avail as things keep going wrong. Maybe I should double down a bit but I don't want to be too harsh. Then again being a leader does mean being less soft at times...I bury my face in my hands, trying to turn over what to do in my mind, fists clenched so tightly that my nails are digging into the skin of my palms. It isn't like all of his inventions go wrong but with how wrong they have been going lately it is getting borderline dangerous. Maybe I shouldn't let him endanger his –and our- health but I don't want to do damage to his self esteem. Oh fuck responsibility.

The scraping of a chair being pulled back makes me look up in time to see Gale sitting down.
"Are Kowalski's inventions always this...chaotic?" he asks me, coughing slightly. I sigh. Guess something else went wrong.
"Normally chaotic but not to this degree," I admit, rubbing the back of my head. "I've tried to talk about it to him but no luck."
"I know I'm still quite new and it is none of my business but maybe you should use a bit of a harsher approach?" he suggests. I look up with a slight frown. "Sorry, did I overstep a boundary?"
"No. It isn't that," I say. "I was just thinking about that really and you mentioned you did psychiatry at university, right?" He nods. "Any suggestions?"
"Honestly, it is really harsh but ban him from inventing for a month or two," Gale replies, with a slight frown. "It is harsh but it would definitely work given it is something quite impactful. If he tried to do it secretly though you would have to double down. Like start it again." I sigh slightly. It seems extremely harsh but Gale has studied it. Not to mention it maybe would be effective.

"Thanks Gale," I say, reluctantly standing up to head to the lab.
"Oh maybe don't say it was my idea?" he suggests. "It being your idea as you are the leader would probably be more effective." I nod and slowly head to the lab, knowing if I delay with this then I will just chicken out. God...I know I have to be harsh but this is Kowalski so it is going to be far from easy. I take a deep breath and walk into the lab, standing by the entrance until he notices me as he tries to stop smoke funnelling out of the invention. He jumps slightly when he notices my presence and puts down the spanner.

"Afternoon, Skipper," he says.
"We need to talk," I say, bluntly, skipping any pleasantries. I keep my arms crossed and force myself to keep my expression stern even though I really wish I could take a gentle approach and promise him I am trying to do it for his own good.
"Is something wrong?" he asks more, expression concerned. "You seem an-"
"Just be quiet when I explain," I interrupt, hating the way he noticeably flinches at my harsh tone and immediately falls silent. "I'm banning you from inventing for six weeks."
"What?!" he protests, the rare raised voice surprising me slightly. "That isn't fair! Inventing is th-"
"Stop arguing!" I snap. "Or do you want me to make it eight weeks?" He stares at me with a shocked expression which I try to ignore. "It isn't like your inventing is good, it always goes wrong!" I blurted that out before I could stop myself. The hurt, betrayed expression that Kowalski gives me almost makes me take everything back but I know if I take it back then I'll end up letting him invent. "You have ten minutes to tidy things up and then leave the lab!" With that I storm out, slamming the door behind me for good measure.

I bury my face in my hands, feeling my shoulders sink. I'm sorry, Kowalski...

Kowalski
As Skipper leaves my legs almost give out on me and I feel a pain shoot for my chest. Skipper thinks I'm not good at one of the things I love? Skipper has even less confidence in me than I do. Why was he so angry? Did I do something wrong? Am I that much of a failure. I sort out the few bits of mess and walk out, forcing myself not to emote as I pass Gale and Skipper in the living room. Skipper seems entirely emotionless, which really contributes to the fear that he is not just angry at my inventions but at me as a person. Gale shoots me a smirk but I return my gaze to the floor and quickly head to my room.

I sit cross-legged on my beanbag, digging my elbows into my legs and resting my face in my hands. I feel something damp running down my cheeks and it takes me a few moments for it to sink in that I am crying. My shoulders are shaking slightly with sobs and I have to remove my glasses given how blurry the tears are making them. Why am I so upset? I should be used to criticism! Gale's comments never devastate me like this. What is wrong with me? Why am I so weak? Why can't I be emotionally and physically strong like Skipper or emotionally devoid and cool like Gale? Why is everything always so difficult? The questions aren't making things any easier. If anything they are only stressing me out more. Pros. I need a pro. Maybe...I can use the six weeks to focus on other things I enjoy? Like catching up on reading material.

The thought isn't a bad one but it isn't comforting. I force myself to stop crying and wipe my tears away with the back of my sleeve with a sniffle. I push my glasses back on, breathing slowly in and out. Calm. Relax. An idea does go into my mind though. In a couple of week, when things go down a little, I'll probably be able to invent behind his back. It is risky but it is the only way for things to be okay. I force my expression back into a calm one and nod slightly to myself. I'll do that then.

I put my headphones on, playing some calming music to try numbing my searing emotions. For all I know Skipper got annoyed because inventions keep going wrong. He is too nice to turn on me to the same extent that everyone else has. Even my paren- No. That is not something I need to think about right now. That never ends with me feeling emotionally stable and right now I feel bad enough as it is.

I glance at the chore rota and sigh. My turn to cook. Normally that is something I really enjoy but right now I really want to just hide inside my room away from judgment and the looks that blend my emotions into too much discord. I sigh and head back out, heading straight to the kitchen and ignoring the rest of the people I live with. I grab the fajita kit from the cupboard so the only think I have to do is slice things then stir. Effort right now is just too much and I for once don't practically care if the others enjoy it or not. They're quick to make and quick to eat so I can retire to my own room as quickly as possible.

I serve it, making no effort with presentation, and simply poke at mine whilst they make conversation.
"So going to do anything tomorrow?" Gale asks: I know the question is a slightly snide reminder of what is going on. I don't even bother dignifying that with a response.
"Answer the question, Kowalski," Skipper says. So he and Gale are besties these days...Great! Just what we all need!
"Read," I say, shortly, taking a nibble of the food. Skipper and Gale head into the kitchen as soon as we're done and I try to make a beeline for my room.
"Kowalski, are you okay?" Rico asks me. I nod stiffly. "Are you sure? Skipper told us he banned you from inventing?"
"Well besides that I'm fine," I mutter, feeling my shoulders sink. "You know being banned from one of your favourite things is an amazing feeling..." The sarcasm is never very typical of me to say out loud so I head straight to my room before he can notice something is wrong.

I wonder if I should say something to Skipper about the banning me from inventing? It would be amazing if he changed his mind. I quickly change my mind though. He's the leader and after his comment I feel like saying anything isn't a good idea.