Chapter Twelve

Kowalski
The book is exceedingly interesting, drawing me in inescapability into the pages and I quickly get lost in the intricate world building. Skipper did say to get some sleep and I will...Once I have finished the book. If he wanted me to have a sensible amount of sleep then he should have specified. Yes I know what he meant but still. Books take priority. Which maybe isn't the best logic but they do keep saying to focus on things I enjoy opposed to just logic. Loopholes are often easy to reach really but I doubt Skipper would buy this as an excuse. The thing is I don't care. Well not enough to put the book down anyway. I'll probably regret it if he gets annoyed enough but if he doesn't find out there is no harm done.

The light from the lamp creates a soft glow and I put in my headphones to get a soundscape to read too. A calming one so it isn't distracting but not dull so it drains my energy. An ocean with undertones of piano. It is always pretty nice too read to plus it is pretty fitting given the location is currently the ocean so it helps draw me even further into the pages. The small crack through the curtains gives a slight silver glow which is nice. The door opens, flooding the room with light, and I squint against the sudden brightness. I glance up and see Gale who shoots me an apologetic look.
"Sorry, was just grabbing a drink," he says. "Can never have enough coffee."
"It's fine, it isn't even that late yet," I say, returning my gaze to the book and adjusting my glasses. I hear the kettle boiling and turn up the music slightly. He comes back through after a few minutes with a full cup of steaming coffee.

"See you tomorrow," he says, pausing near me.
"Night," I reply. He moves to head off but his foot catches on something and he trips. Next thing I know scalding hot liquid is saturating my book and I quickly place it down before the hot water can burn my fingers. I glance at the book and feel my shoulders immediately sink. That book is undeniably and entirely ruined. The coffee has even gone through the hardback cover and the pages will forever be clumped together. If separated they will tear so it looks like I'll have to replace it.
"I am so sorry!" he exclaims. "Ugh I can be such a klutz sometimes when I'm not paying attention."
"Its fine...I can always replace it," I say, trying to not get annoyed. Mistakes can happen after all. That's how I exist.

"Hey, I know this is a bit of an ask but can you not mention this to the others? Gale asks me: I shoot him a questioning look. "I mean, it is just a book so it isn't a big deal so they probably will think you're overreacting if you say anything. I don't want to be the one who causes any drama or issues in the group." Yeah I don't like the idea of them finding me stupid or annoying...
""Okay," I agree. He gives me a half smile and heads off. I wait for the coffee to call somewhat and then pick up the drenched book and put it in the bin. I head back to the sofa, curling up under the duvet and scroll through my phone until I find a decent audio book equivalent. It isn't as good as reading it myself but at least it means I'll be able to hear the rest of the stories and continue from where I fall asleep each night. I probably won't get far each night though because the voice is quite relaxing but at least it is something. I yawn, eyes slowly getting heavier...

                                       ----------------------------------------------

When I wake up my phone is about to die so I quickly head to my room to put it on to charge and as a result see the painted room for the first time. I love it. The walls are a mix of blacks, dark blues, and purples, traces of red and white flecks making stars. The main wall has a silvery white moon in the corner and some planets painted on it. Even the ceiling has the same colours. It all goes really well with the rest of my room such as the little planet lights, the beanbag, the bedding...I'm starting to think maybe I like space a little too much but given how cool it looks I doubt I care. I plug in my phone and glance at the clock. 3am. Yeah, I am definitely going back to sleep for a bit. My bed looks so comfy right now but I can tell just from the smell in the room that it is still wet. I head back to the sofa, wondering why my sleep is so sparse right now and why I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

I don't remember even becoming tired again but I must have because I can suddenly feel someone gently shaking my arm.
"Hmm?" I ask, sleepily, opening my eyes and getting a blurry view of Skipper. I quickly put on my glasses to get rid of that effect.
"Morning ," Skipper says with a grin. "Thought I'd wake you up quietly before the others started being loud so you had time to wake up properly without being rushed."
"Thanks, Skipper," I say with a smile, stretching slightly. "Should I get you a coffee?"
"I'll get it and get you a tea," he says. "I went for a jog this morning so I'm probably more awake than you. At least you didn't stay up reading all night by the look of it. Green tea good?" I nod and he heads into the kitchen.

Whilst the kettle is boiling he leans against the doorframe to talk to me.
"Seen your room yet?" he asks me.
"Yes, it is really good," I say with a smile. "I'm guessing you told him I liked Doctor Who because the planets on the feature wall are from it."
"Yup!" he confirms with a grin. "Let's be honest though, Kowalski, no one would be surprised you like it. You are such a nerd!" This is probably one of the reasons I get on so well with Skipper. The fact that he can make 'nerd' seem like such a good thing when people have used it as an insult my entire life.
"Fair point," I agree, sheepishly. "And to be fair he did also see us watch it..."
"Very true," he agrees. There is the click of the kettle finishing boiling. "Be right back."

He comes back in shortly and puts the drink in front of me.
"I was wondering if you would do me a favour today and go do some undercover?" he asks me. "You're the only one patient and smart enough to pull it off...Plus you're multilingual which helps."
"Sure," I agree. Interacting...yay... "How long do you think it'll take?"
"Only a few hours," Skipper replies. Okay that isn't so bad I guess.

                                    ---------------------------------------

I'm finally back. It went quite well really but it was just much. Too much. I need a rest after that.
"Should we just have a movie night tonight?" Skipper suggests after a while. "We could each choose a film?"
"That's a good idea," Private agrees. Rico and Gale nod. Not wanting to ruin it for everyone else I agree too.

Rico, Private and Skipper head off to the shop to get some snacks. I stay behind because I am way too tired. Plus I don't really want any snacks anyway.
"Maybe don't go for one of your favourites?" Gale suggests, as I begin to drop off.
"Huh? Why not?" I ask, perplexed.
"I doubt anyone accept you want to watch it," he says with a loose shrug. "I mean do you want to go for something else? Otherwise everyone will be bored and judging your choice. Well more than they probably do given you seem to spend your life buried in books and Sci-fi. Again his comment really sinks in and I nod, putting the DVD back and get out something that at least has an element of action. Anything to avoid so much judgment.

They get back and Skipper sits by me as we put on the first film. I only half pay attention. I'm mostly thinking about how likely it is that Gale was right and they are judging me. That is what constantly happened my entire life so why not now as well? I'm also half asleep which doesn't help because when I'm tired it is when I over think things. Again, though, I am left with the slightly unsettling feeling that something isn't right. I'm not sure what though. It is probably nothing, I over think everything...It is just the way Gale approached things. It felt off. That is probably me just being bad at social interactions or him not being overly tactful. It is probably nothing. 

Okay the reason the mission and the movie night  had zero description is the interactions between Gale and Kowalski were the important parts of this chapter even if not that interesting XD. I will add a movie night at some point to make up for this long filler chapter