Colonel Bump

Luz' (POV)

May 5th, 1918

The last day on the SS-Hooty was a blur. We were all on deck when a man called out, "Land! I see it!" And then we all rushed over to get a look at the land we would be docking on.

From there it was a matter of who would get off the ship first. Our last meal was at lunch-time and we had been given breads, soups, grains, fruits, and even meat.

I tried to enjoy the last day as much as I could, but even I was starting to get a little sea-sick. And even though I feared what was to come on the land in-front of us, I couldn't wait to have something stable to walk on.

Before we were allowed to leave or even prepare to leave, we were given the information on where we were to go next. They handed out uniforms that included a military green tank top, jacket, vest, pants, and some tall brown boots.

They then gave us some green hard hats and a small beige backpack. "Fancy," I had commented, but the other men did not seem to be in a joking mood.

As the vessel pulled into the docks, and the bridge lowered, I felt my heart speed up just a little. I had already regrouped with my new friends and once the majority of everyone had stampeded off the boat, we calmly walked off, smiling ear to ear.

Something about France I learned very quickly: the French men only spoke French.

No matter how many times I tried to ask for directions to where the Americans were to stay, they always shrugged me off and would start yelling. A couple times I got so frustrated I even started screaming in Spanish.

In those moments, August and Gus would pull me away and tell me to stay focused on the work in front of us.

As the sunset neared, I internally then externally started to panic. We needed to find the rest of the army that were instructed to be here. Running around, searching desperately for anyone in uniform, I finally heard something.

Someone was speaking English! Not really thinking things through at this point, I took off sprinting after the voice, leaving my group behind.

"Wait! Luz, we have to stick together," was the last thing I heard before I caught up to the English speaking gentlemen. "Excuse me!" They stopped their conversation and turned towards me. "Excuse me, do ya know where the American troops are trainin'? We need to get there by midnight!"

The first one laughed. He and his friend were wearing the same green uniform as me and my new friends. "Of course, just follow me! My name's Fredric by the way! You can call me Edric! And this is Jerbo!" Jerbo waved.

There was something familiar in Edric's eyes. Something... off.

Everyone else finally seemed to catch up a moment later. I heard them stop and someone gasp. I looked back to see August's face pure white. He froze and stared at Edric. It must've taken Edric a moment to notice August, because when he did he also stopped moving.

For a moment, it was just awkward silence. How... peculiar.

Fortunately, King caught up to us, gasping and panting. "Wait! You guys really need to slow down!" Edric turned around and signaled for us to follow, whispering something to Jerbo along the way. How strange.

Not long after, we found the others and met up with the Colonel, who's full name was Colonel Hieronymus Scott Bump but recommended us to just call him Colonel Bump.

Colonel Bump had long black hair pulled into a bun, the same green uniform as us, and a long jagged scar that traced from his forehead, to just below his right eye. He was nice enough, but seemed strict.