Just Another Day

Amity's (POV)

It was just another normal day. I had a normal breakfast consisting of a bowl of oatmeal with just a hint of cinnamon and a cup of orange juice. While I wouldn't consider my family wealthy, I wouldn't consider them poor either.

We lived in a well built community and were never starving or hungry. We owned "workers", but I almost never saw them. The only ones I actually talked to, were the 2 that tended to our house. One as a cleaner and one to serve us in whatever way we'd like whether it be food or a foot massage.

My father was out receiving the post when I noticed something rather odd. First of all, my father stayed out talking to the post man and second my mother soon ran out to talk to him. I almost never saw her run, not even when we were late for church. But I kept to my own business, and ate my oatmeal in silence. My siblings, Edric and Emira soon came downstairs for their breakfast.

They were both looking unusually solemn. Being a couple years older than me, they constantly made fun of me and joked around but not today. I couldn't resist asking at this point. "Brother, sister, why so quiet today?"

"Nothing that should concern you, Amity," Emira said sternly.

"But I'm curious. No one is acting like themselves this morning. It should be of my concern if I-"

"Amity, leave it be," my brother calmly stated as he cut his toast. I let out an annoyed sigh. "It isn't like you to keep things from me! I insist that I know what's happening!"

"Amity! Leave. It. Be," my sister snarled. I put down my fork harshly, making a clanking sound. Both my siblings looked at me with a look of annoyance. "If this is some prank you two are pulling, I swear-"

Just then the door opened and my father walked in, leaning on his cane. My mother followed soon behind, closing the door. That's when I saw her face. Fresh tears rolled down her cheeks. I stood up. I had to know what was going on. "Mother-"

"Amity," my brother snapped at me. I sat down back down, rather annoyed. My father leaned on his cane as he walked to the head of the table. My mother stood beside him as he began to speak. "Today, we have declared war on Germany. Edric and I have been drafted into the war. Edric, you will pack your bag immediately. You are to leave in 15 minutes. I will leave later this morning."

My heart thumped against my chest. "Father? You can't go... your knee... you can't even run!"

"Darling, it is alright to be upset. I know it is not fair. I have bought myself an hour of time, due to my knee. Your brother is not so lucky. Edric, please go pack." I look to my brother who wore an expression of fear. He manages to stutter out a "Y-yes, Father," and with that he rushes upstairs. I then look to Emira who looks at me and then lets out a sob. She puts her face in her hands. My mother rushes to her side and begins to console her.

I just sit there, shocked. Within what feels like seconds, Edric is hugging everyone and telling me he loves me. He tells Emira the same and more, telling her he promises he'll write her. And then, he leaves. He brings a bag with him, tears streaming down his face and he shuts the door behind him. My father sobs. My mother sobs. Emira sobs. I sob.

Maybe Edric stood a chance. He was tall, muscular and had been halling bags of flour around for years, but my father did not.

And that was when a terrible, terrible idea entered my mind. One that would not leave no matter how bad I tried to get rid of it. I could take the place of my father. His papers, his registration was in his back pocket. I could pack a bag, cut my hair, and then climb out the window.

With tears streaming down my face, I rushed to my father, embracing him so tightly, he couldn't feel when I pulled the paper out of his pocket. I then ran upstairs, sobbing. I could hear my mother telling Emira to leave me be for a couple minutes, but I tried not to listen. I ran to Edric's room and then to his closet. I told myself I would have to get a hold of myself, or this wouldn't go over well.